Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > How to have email form send email and start file download

How to have email form send email and start file download

Randy Webb

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 5/11/2006 11:56 PM:

Please quote what you are replying to.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
article headers.

> Today I witnessed a friend trying out my page that has the 3 line js
> script with IE6, and it didn't start the download by itself.

Probably has JS disabled then.

> So I have removed the js lines and put the following html line near
> the front of the file "www.xlrotor.com/thank_you3.shtml"
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="3;
> URL=http://www.xlrotor.com/xlrotowm30.exe">

IE6:

Tools>Security>Custom Level

Downloads section
3 settings to ponder

Last Section, explicitly disable META Refresh

> This works when tested on my computer with IE6 and Firefox.
>
> I need to do more testing.

Yes, indeed.

--
Randy

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="3;
> URL=http://www.xlrotor.com/xlrotowm30.exe">
>
> This works when tested on my computer with IE6 and Firefox.
>
> I need to do more testing.

Usually testing is a Good Thing, but it is the path to the Dark Side here.

You can _never_ test 100% of the cases; so you have to provide a fallback
for _unknown_ cases where a certain technique does not work due to _unknown_
reasons. You really should read (my) postings more thoroughly.

PointedEars
--
A true translation needs neither omissions nor addings.
It is its own content.

bmurphy@xlrotor.com

That's a dizzying collection of options that IE has.

So it certainly seems the automatic triggering of the file download is
hit or miss on any given system. So the "click here if the download
does not start automatically" is mandatory, and I do have this.

Unless I discover any as yet unseen problems, I think the single line
HTML META tag is the way to go for the file download. I will continue
to test it on other computers whenever the opportunity arises.

Thanks,

Brian

Randy Webb wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) said the following on 5/11/2006 11:56 PM:
>
> Please quote what you are replying to.
>
> If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the
> "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
> the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
> article headers.

> > Today I witnessed a friend trying out my page that has the 3 line js
> > script with IE6, and it didn't start the download by itself.

> Probably has JS disabled then.
>

> > So I have removed the js lines and put the following html line near
> > the front of the file "www.xlrotor.com/thank_you3.shtml"
> >
> > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="3;
> > URL=http://www.xlrotor.com/xlrotowm30.exe">

> IE6:
>
> Tools>Security>Custom Level
>
> Downloads section
> 3 settings to ponder
>
> Last Section, explicitly disable META Refresh
>
> > This works when tested on my computer with IE6 and Firefox.
> >
> > I need to do more testing.

> Yes, indeed.
>
> --
> Randy

Randy Webb

(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 5/14/2006 12:27 AM:
> That's a dizzying collection of options that IE has.

Very dizzying.

> So it certainly seems the automatic triggering of the file download is
> hit or miss on any given system. So the "click here if the download
> does not start automatically" is mandatory, and I do have this.

It's not mandatory, it's just the most reliable of the methods available.

> Unless I discover any as yet unseen problems, I think the single line
> HTML META tag is the way to go for the file download. I will continue
> to test it on other computers whenever the opportunity arises.

Even knowing that META tags can be disabled and admitting that the link
is the way to go, why are you still using a faulty approach?

Question: Why?
Answer: Top-Posting.

Randy