Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Position layers works in IE not Firefox/Safari

Position layers works in IE not Firefox/Safari

Matt Kruse

Matt Kruse wrote:
> You, sir, are a troll, and just barely above VK in the amount of
> value that you add to this newsgroup. If the word "anti-social"
> describes anyone here, it would be you. Maybe you don't interact with
> humans in the real world, but if you behave in real life as you do
> here, I don't imagine that many people would find your company
> welcome. You are judgemental, insulting, demeaning, elitist, anal
> retentive, combative, and unpleasant.
> Do me a favor and add me to your kill file or adjust my score or
> whatever it is that you do, so you never need to be bothered with
> seeing or responding to my posts again.

I probably should have prefaced that with "Jane, you ignorant slut"

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

Gérard Talbot

Matt Kruse wrote :

> If CSS layouts didn't require hacks we tables like this:
> http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/css_only/index.php wouldn't exist.

I have never recommended CSS hacks or anything close to any of this.
Quite on the contrary.
A good web design would stay away from any/all of these hacks. As soon
as such flaws in browsers are corrected by new versions, then the
webpage code (markup and CSS) has to be modified and adjusted while
maintaining the old hacks in place for the people not upgrading their
browsers. All of this is non-sense, more and more difficult to manage,
to maintain.

>>> not to mention a steep learning curve for most.

>> You would prefer to keep people incompetent, so that you can "sell"
>> them your software? I see.

> The reality is that people don't have hours and hours to spend learning
> every new web technique. Some of us have families and jobs. And the truth
> is, learning to use CSS to the degree required to do complex layouts is
> something many people don't have time to do.

I'd reply roughly the same again. First, use a decent, web standards
compliant HTML editor: Nvu 1.0 is certainly a defendable choice. On the
other hand, Front Page has now been discontinued by Microsoft itself.

Then, search for proven, reliable, cross-browser and standards-oriented
CSS templates: I have offered a list already.
The best CSS template is the one that gets explained step by step in a
tutorial. So that way, one can reach both goals: usage of the template
and understanding (with the independence that it brings) of
using/adjusting/upgrading it later.

> And once again, despite your push towards people doing things the "right"
> way, your own web site reoutinely demonstrates the _opposite_ of what you
> preach.

Several people have compared Thomas Lahn's own adamant preaching, harsch
admonishing posts with his own webpage design practices. The guy is not
only abrasive, arrogant but, more importantly, he is in blatant
contradiction, his practices are blatantly inconsequent.

> You are truly a piece of work, Mr. Lahn. I am neither lazy nor anti-social
> nor do I "sell" my software nor am I disadvantaging anyone else.
>
> You, sir, are a troll, and just barely above VK in the amount of value that
> you add to this newsgroup. If the word "anti-social" describes anyone here,
> it would be you. Maybe you don't interact with humans in the real world, but
> if you behave in real life as you do here, I don't imagine that many people
> would find your company welcome. You are judgemental, insulting, demeaning,
> elitist, anal retentive, combative, and unpleasant.

Your judgement and appreciation of Thomas 'Pointed Ears' Lahn definitely
meets my own.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me