Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > onclick on option not working on IE or safari

onclick on option not working on IE or safari

James Black

I have a select box that uses onclick on each option tag.

This works fine in firefox, but not in IE or Safari.

I don't know if I should use onblur for each option.

I don't want to use onchange for the select, as I want any of the
options selected to be reacted to.

The user is selecting for one one of three dates (start of semester,
end of semester, use calendar). I could just put a blank option as the
default option, so that the other three options will fire onchange.

I am hoping that someone can help me to better understand how to
approach getting this to work properly.

Thanx.

RobG

James Black said on 12/04/2006 12:34 PM AEST:
> I have a select box that uses onclick on each option tag.
>
> This works fine in firefox, but not in IE or Safari.
>
> I don't know if I should use onblur for each option.

Don't do that. Put the onclick on the select and look at the selected
option - it may require additional work for a multiple select.

[...]

--
Rob
Group FAQ: <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/FAQ>

James Black

I will try that in the morning.

I didn't think about putting the onclick on the select box. Thank you.

Thankfully it is just a single-select, so it shouldn't be too much
coding.

RobG

James Black said on 12/04/2006 12:42 PM AEST:
> I will try that in the morning.
>
> I didn't think about putting the onclick on the select box. Thank you.
>
> Thankfully it is just a single-select, so it shouldn't be too much
> coding.

You should also check how it behaves if keyboard navigation is used -
tab to select, up/down arrow to modify.