Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > New: Javascript "Knowledge Base" search page

New: Javascript "Knowledge Base" search page

Matt Kruse

Javascript "Knowledge Base" Search: http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/search/

read the FAQ" or "did you search the archives?" or "did you do a google
search?".

To regular readers and experienced javascript developers, knowing how and
where to search and filtering out junk results is an easy task. For most
javascript users, however, it's not so easy.

So, I created the above page to simplify the task of searching for good
javascript information. The idea is very simple - link to Google search
results that search only specific web sites known to have good javascript
information (including the FAQ), and usenet posts from active and
knowledgeable participants in this newsgroup. (At the risk of sounding vain,
I did include myself and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect?

This way, the search is very specific to javascript and is most likely to
give the most accurate results first. If a person wants to search all of
Google instead of the narrowed-down results, they can of course always do
that.

Right now, the web search looks for urls matching:
jibbering.com/faq/
www.merlyn.demon.co.uk
javascripttoolbox.com
www.mattkruse.com/javascript/
www.litotes.demon.co.uk
javascript.crockford.com
www.json.org

The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for posts whose authors
match:
"Jim Ley"
"Lasse"
"Randy Webb"
"Martin Honnen"
"John Stockton"
"Richard Cornford"
"Michael Winter"
"RobG"
"Matt Kruse"

Any feedback?

Also, any recommendations for additional sites or authors to include in the
search?

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

Richard Cornford

Matt Kruse wrote:
<snip>
> ... (At the risk of sounding vain, I did include myself
> and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect?

Don't ask

<snip>
> Right now, the web search looks for urls matching:
> jibbering.com/faq/

Jim has material on javascript on his site that is not in/under the faq
directory. For example, his well known XML HTTP request page.

<snip>
> The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for
> posts whose authors match:
> "Jim Ley"
> "Lasse"

<snip>

You have got to include 'Laurent Bugnion', 'Grant Wagner', 'Steve van
Dongen' and 'Yann-Erwan Perio' (AKA 'Yep' (but not the 'Yep' who posts
to alt.comp.lang.javascirpt as he is a twit)). We may not have heard
much from any of them recently but an archive search that turns up a
post by any has likely fond something worth reading.

Richard.

Richard Cornford

Richard Cornford wrote:
> Matt Kruse wrote:

<snip>
>> The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for
>> posts whose authors match:
>> "Jim Ley"
>> "Lasse"

> <snip>
>
> You have got to include ...

And 'Lee', of course.

Richard.

Sandor Spruit

Matt Kruse wrote:

[snip]

> Also, any recommendations for additional sites or authors to include in the
> search?

http://www.quirksmode.org

Sandor

Matt Kruse

Richard Cornford wrote:
>> You have got to include ...

Added all those authors, and jim's xmlhttprequest page. I also modified the
page to show the criteria being used and to allow the user to un-check sites
or authors to be searched. The UI could probably still use some
improvement... any suggestions?

> And 'Lee', of course.

The problem with including "Lee" is that there are a lot of authors that
match "Lee" which get included. So unless I can get more specific with it,
it's probably best to leave it out.

Sandor Spruit wrote:
> http://www.quirksmode.org

Good catch - I added that one too.

Thanks for both of your feedback!

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com
http://www.AjaxToolbox.com

Randy Webb

Matt Kruse said the following on 4/8/2006 6:01 PM:
> Javascript "Knowledge Base" Search: http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/search/

> read the FAQ" or "did you search the archives?" or "did you do a google
> search?".
>
> To regular readers and experienced javascript developers, knowing how and
> where to search and filtering out junk results is an easy task. For most
> javascript users, however, it's not so easy.
>
> So, I created the above page to simplify the task of searching for good
> javascript information. The idea is very simple - link to Google search
> results that search only specific web sites known to have good javascript
> information (including the FAQ), and usenet posts from active and
> knowledgeable participants in this newsgroup. (At the risk of sounding vain,
> I did include myself and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect?

I didn't expect the 5th response for a search for the word "eval" to be
a post in comp.lang.perl.misc from 1997 from Matt Kruse though

You may want to default it to sort the results by date instead of relevance.

> This way, the search is very specific to javascript and is most likely to
> give the most accurate results first. If a person wants to search all of
> Google instead of the narrowed-down results, they can of course always do
> that.

The Usenet search should be limited to the c.l.j and
microsoft.public.scripting.jscript group archives. If you don't, there
is no telling what a person might find in alt.comp.lang.javascript

> Any feedback?

Yeah, add some naked women so I can get my porn and research done at the
same time

--
Randy

Matt Kruse

Randy Webb wrote:
> The Usenet search should be limited to the c.l.j and
> microsoft.public.scripting.jscript group archives.

Ah, yes. It did that previously but my most recent update wiped out the
group filter. I've added it back in. Thanks for letting me know!

--
Matt Kruse