Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > PERL/JavaScript

PERL/JavaScript

Alex

I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
to me that they both totally different things.

PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.

JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

-jac

Tim Slattery

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
>to me that they both totally different things.
>
>PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
>write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
>
>JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

Client-side stuff. AJAX fits that description, so does
enabling/disabling parts of a form depending on what's been selected
or deselected, hiding/showing bits of text.

--
Tim Slattery

Hal Rosser

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
> to me that they both totally different things.
>
> PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
> write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
>
> JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)
>
> Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
ajax).
perl is superb at short simple server-side programs. perl runs at the
server.
Both can write html.
Perl can write html AND javascript.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Hal Rosser wrote:

> "Alex" [...] wrote [...]:
>> I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
>> to me that they both totally different things.
>>
>> PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
>> write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
>>
>> JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)
>>
>> Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

> JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
> ajax).

J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

> perl is superb at short simple server-side programs. perl runs at the
> server.

Perl runs at the client, too.

> Both can write html.
> Perl can write html AND javascript.

J(ava)Script can write Perl, too. So what?

PointedEars

Hal Rosser

> > JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
> > ajax).

> J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

***** Not really - you hardly ever see it done - most would choose vbscript
for ASP

****** But not usually (in the context of web programming)

**** But not normally done

>So what?

****Yeah - so what ??
Why don't you try helping the OP rather than trying to dump on those who
are.
I was giving the OP an overview of how Perl and JavaScript are *normally*
related as it applies to web programming.
So let's see some CONSTRUCTIVE post from YOU aimed at helping the OP, rather
than being so vicious.
Goodness, girl, don't you have any upbringing at all ?

> PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Hal Rosser wrote:

>> > JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms -
>> > (and ajax).

>> J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

> ***** Not really

Yes, it is.

> - you hardly ever see it done -

Because /you/ hardly ever see it done does not mean it is that way.

> most would choose vbscript for ASP

That is their (incompetent) choice, not a necessity at all.

> [flame]

You have a lot to learn, young apprentice.

PointedEars

Hal Rosser

> > [flame]
>
> You have a lot to learn, young apprentice.
>

> PointedEars

Yes, I do....but ---- never mind - its you

electrician@electrician.com

Perl is the best server side workhorse for making money on the
Internet. You use JavaScript to get the form information to the Perl
program and the Perl Program processes the information using the server
at the ISP if the ISP allows this. Perl will file information, sort
and search files, and return the information to the user in html or
email the information to whomever. Perl is the ultimate text
processing language. Its regular expression capabilities and speed are
unmatched. The Perl interpreter is available free and can be
downloaded and run in a windows environment. I use Perl exclusively on
UNIX machines such as those found at Powweb.com. It can be run on the
windows server, but it seems to have a stronger UNIX background. The
only deficiency that I found with Perl is that I thought you could
search files at different ISP servers. Evidently, it will not do
that. It is a server unique. Perl is where EBay started and where
Amazon.com started. It is a fantastic and powerful language. And yes,
I love Perl! I just wish I had the time to become a full fledged Perl
Programmer. I tell every computer geek I know LEARN PERL!!! And Perl
programs are secure. They cannot be stolen like JavaScript. But if
you love Microsoft, learn C# the Microsoft Perl imitator.

Hal Rosser

> I love Perl! I just wish I had the time to become a full fledged Perl
> Programmer. I tell every computer geek I know LEARN PERL!!! And Perl
> programs are secure. They cannot be stolen like JavaScript. But if
> you love Microsoft, learn C# the Microsoft Perl imitator.

Amen - (except substitute java for the Microsoft stuff)
I read somewhere that PERL is known as the "Swiss Army Chainsaw" of
programming languages.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Tim Slattery wrote:

> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
>> to me that they both totally different things.
>>
>> PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
>> write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
>>
>> JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

> Client-side stuff.

No, for the nth time now!

> AJAX fits that description, [...]

"AJAX" can be server-side, too.