Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Detecting User's browser encoding-->Auto-Select

Detecting User's browser encoding-->Auto-Select

Effie

Hi!
Is there a way to detect if the "Auto-select" is been checked on the
user's browser?

TIA, Effie

VK

Effie wrote:
> Hi!
> Is there a way to detect if the "Auto-select" is been checked on the
> user's browser?

The used charset is a "mandatory* piece of information you have to
provide for your page: either over server response header, or over meta
element on the page itself. The declared charset will be used by
browser either "Auto-select" is chosen or not.
Auto-select is not some kind of special charset - it is an instruction
to browser that "if author did not provide charset info, try to guess
it by some formal signs".
As you will never be such terribly bad author (will you? then the
state of this option should not bother you at all.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

VK wrote:

> Effie wrote:
>> Is there a way to detect if the "Auto-select" is been checked on the
>> user's browser?

> The used charset is a "mandatory* piece of information you have to
> provide for your page:

No, it is not.

> either over server response header,

This is recommended (SHOULD) "when it is known that it will not confuse
the recipient."

> or over meta element on the page itself.

This is recommended against, because the above mentioned response header
MUST be respected.

PointedEars