Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > how to make a post-it type note ?

how to make a post-it type note ?

Roman Ziak

Is there somewhere a coherent example or available production code for
something similar to intelliTXT:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...iw-jsharp.html

Point on the highlighted words and you get the bubble.

I assume it's a absolutely positioned DIV element.

Another question is how to make corners round without CSS3 ?

Thanks

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Roman Ziak wrote:

> Is there somewhere a coherent example or available production code for
> something similar to intelliTXT:
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...iw-jsharp.html
>
> Point on the highlighted words and you get the bubble.

No bubble whatsoever, and no script errors (yet 336 warnings, CSS warnings
and errors not included) with Firefox 1.5.0.1/Linux. The site is
exceptionally slow here if uncached, probably due to the Web counter, many
iFrames and completely broken source code.

<URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2001/jw-1121-iw-jsharp.html&ss=1;verbose=1>

A pretty good example of how not to do it.

> I assume it's a absolutely positioned DIV element.
>
> Another question is how to make corners round without CSS3 ?

One approach that I recommend against, is (mis)using tables, particularly
table cells with images, for layout. Another one, that does no harm like
that, is trying proprietary style properties, implemented e.g. in

<URL:http://pointedears.de/ufpdb/celestia/?file=stellarcl>

(The relevant call is at the end of the `body' element, it uses wrapper
code from dhtml.js.)

HTH

PointedEars

Roman Ziak

Roman Ziak wrote:
> Is there somewhere a coherent example or available production code for
> something similar to intelliTXT:
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...iw-jsharp.html
>
> Point on the highlighted words and you get the bubble.
>
> I assume it's a absolutely positioned DIV element.
>
> Another question is how to make corners round without CSS3 ?
>
> Thanks

I got the post-it working using DIV. Preview on:

http://www.darujem.sk/test/viewforum.php?id=148

No round corners or anything fancy so far. Just basic absolutely
positioned DIV and XMLHttpRequest to get the first post in the topic.