Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AutoPostback not seeming to go to Page_load

AutoPostback not seeming to go to Page_load

tshad

I am running a program I got off the net and found the author was doing an
"autopostback=true" on his textbox.

I am not sure why he was doing this as it doesn't seem to be doing anything,
but when I put trace on, I can see the page being posted, but I have the
following:

{
Trace.Warn("inside Page_Load");
if(!IsPostBack)
The Trace.Warn displays on all of the other Postbacks, but doesn't seem to
on the AutoPostBack.

Is it foregoing the Page_Load for some reason?

I was going to take it out as it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but I am
curious as to what it is doing.

Thanks,

Tom.

Kumar Reddi

Hmm. a postback can not skip the Load event. May be you are overlooking. How
about putting a breakpoint in the Page_Load handler and see if it does stop
there or not.
--
Kumar Reddi
http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com

"tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#UX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running a program I got off the net and found the author was doing an
> "autopostback=true" on his textbox.
>
> I am not sure why he was doing this as it doesn't seem to be doing

anything,
> but when I put trace on, I can see the page being posted, but I have the
> following:
>
> ************************************************** ***********
> {
> Trace.Warn("inside Page_Load");
> if(!IsPostBack)
> ************************************************** *************
> The Trace.Warn displays on all of the other Postbacks, but doesn't seem

> on the AutoPostBack.
>
> Is it foregoing the Page_Load for some reason?
>
> I was going to take it out as it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but I

am
> curious as to what it is doing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom.

tshad

"Kumar Reddi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm. a postback can not skip the Load event. May be you are overlooking.
> How
> about putting a breakpoint in the Page_Load handler and see if it does
> stop
> there or not.

I thought that was what I was doing with the trace.warn statement.

Tom.
> --
> Kumar Reddi
> http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com
>
> "tshad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#UX$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am running a program I got off the net and found the author was doing
>> an
>> "autopostback=true" on his textbox.
>>
>> I am not sure why he was doing this as it doesn't seem to be doing

> anything,
>> but when I put trace on, I can see the page being posted, but I have the
>> following:
>>
>> ************************************************** ***********
>> private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
>> {
>> Trace.Warn("inside Page_Load");
>> if(!IsPostBack)
>> ************************************************** *************
>> The Trace.Warn displays on all of the other Postbacks, but doesn't seem

>> on the AutoPostBack.
>>
>> Is it foregoing the Page_Load for some reason?
>>
>> I was going to take it out as it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but I

> am
>> curious as to what it is doing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom.

Kumar Reddi

Placing a breakpoint and executing a programin debug mode will give you the
ability to step into the program. Trace.warn is a just a diagnostic message
tool, but its not equal to a breakpoint. Anyway, as i said its just another
diagnostic tool. If you care, try placing the breakpoint and step into the
code, rather than just relying on an output statement. I am sure you are
missing something

Good Luck