Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox PDF problem

Firefox PDF problem

Pieter Provoost

For some reason PDF files are not opened in my Firefox browser. The PDF
plugin is enabled and PDF is set to be openend with Acrobat Reader. When I
click a PDF link I just get a white window.

Any thoughts?

.BRIAN.

Pieter Provoost wrote:

> For some reason PDF files are not opened in my Firefox browser. The PDF
> plugin is enabled and PDF is set to be openend with Acrobat Reader. When I
> click a PDF link I just get a white window.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes, Acrobat sucks. That's my only thought. I have so many problems
with version 6! But it's a PIA to uninstall it and reinstall version 5.
I routinely open .PDF files at work with IE, and the window just sits
there for at least 60 seconds doing nothing. I have to open Acrobat
Reader first, then click on the .PDF file link in IE to avoid the freeze.

As far as Firefox goes... the problem was worse! When opening many .PDF
files, Firefox would take up 99% CPU and freeze. I used the Acrobat
Reader Speed Up file over at:
[http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php] which fixed the
problems I was experiencing. Give it a shot.

Do you only have problems in FF? No problems in IE? Again, Acrobat
Reader 6 sucks! IMHO anyway

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Pieter Provoost

".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> schreef in bericht
> Pieter Provoost wrote:
>
> > For some reason PDF files are not opened in my Firefox browser. The PDF
> > plugin is enabled and PDF is set to be openend with Acrobat Reader. When

> > click a PDF link I just get a white window.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> Yes, Acrobat sucks. That's my only thought. I have so many problems
> with version 6! But it's a PIA to uninstall it and reinstall version 5.
> I routinely open .PDF files at work with IE, and the window just sits
> there for at least 60 seconds doing nothing. I have to open Acrobat
> Reader first, then click on the .PDF file link in IE to avoid the freeze.
>
> As far as Firefox goes... the problem was worse! When opening many .PDF
> files, Firefox would take up 99% CPU and freeze. I used the Acrobat
> Reader Speed Up file over at:
> [http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php] which fixed the
> problems I was experiencing. Give it a shot.
>
> Do you only have problems in FF? No problems in IE? Again, Acrobat
> Reader 6 sucks! IMHO anyway
>
> --
> Brian
>
> Email Info -
> http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Problem solved: I unistalled 6.0.1 and I installed 6.0. It works fine now. I
didn't have any problems in IE, but in Firefox when I tried to open a PDF
link I just got a white page.

.BRIAN.

Pieter Provoost wrote:

>>>For some reason PDF files are not opened in my Firefox browser. The PDF
>>>plugin is enabled and PDF is set to be openend with Acrobat Reader. When

> Problem solved: I unistalled 6.0.1 and I installed 6.0. It works fine now. I
> didn't have any problems in IE, but in Firefox when I tried to open a PDF
> link I just got a white page.

You still might want to check out that link. The Speed Up utility
speeds up Adobe's startup time quite a bit.

Glad to see it's working now.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Smiley

Pieter Provoost wrote:
> ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> schreef in bericht
>
>>Pieter Provoost wrote:
>>

>>>For some reason PDF files are not opened in my Firefox browser. The PDF
>>>plugin is enabled and PDF is set to be openend with Acrobat Reader. When

>>>click a PDF link I just get a white window.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>

>>Yes, Acrobat sucks. That's my only thought. I have so many problems
>>with version 6! But it's a PIA to uninstall it and reinstall version 5.
>> I routinely open .PDF files at work with IE, and the window just sits
>>there for at least 60 seconds doing nothing. I have to open Acrobat
>>Reader first, then click on the .PDF file link in IE to avoid the freeze.
>>
>>As far as Firefox goes... the problem was worse! When opening many .PDF
>>files, Firefox would take up 99% CPU and freeze. I used the Acrobat
>>Reader Speed Up file over at:
>>[http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php] which fixed the
>>problems I was experiencing. Give it a shot.
>>
>>Do you only have problems in FF? No problems in IE? Again, Acrobat
>>Reader 6 sucks! IMHO anyway
>>
>>--
>>Brian
>>
>>Email Info -
>>http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

> Problem solved: I unistalled 6.0.1 and I installed 6.0. It works fine now. I
> didn't have any problems in IE, but in Firefox when I tried to open a PDF
> link I just got a white page.

I did exactly the opposite and it works like a charm now.