Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla navigator won't work

Mozilla navigator won't work

William W. Plummer

OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

Andreas

William W. Plummer wrote:

> OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
> reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
> the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

Before you remove Moz completely, create a new profile and test it out.
See if your problem still continues.

Otherwise, if you really want to remove it, then you can use Windows
Add/Remove program from your Control Panel. Or when you reinstall Moz
will ask you if you want to remove the old settings. Say Yes.

Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.

Andreas

To contact me remove the NOSPAM

William W. Plummer

Andreas wrote:

> William W. Plummer wrote:
>
>> OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
>> reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
>> the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

> Before you remove Moz completely, create a new profile and test it out.
> See if your problem still continues.
>
> Otherwise, if you really want to remove it, then you can use Windows
> Add/Remove program from your Control Panel. Or when you reinstall Moz
> will ask you if you want to remove the old settings. Say Yes.
>
> Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
> When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.
>
> Andreas

I have a feeling that there is something about my profile that is
causing my problems. That's why I want to COMPLETELY remove Mozilla,
including profiles. But I want to tuck away my good stuff first so I
can load it in after I get Mozilla working again.

Andreas

William W. Plummer wrote:
> Andreas wrote:
>
>> William W. Plummer wrote:
>>
>>> OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
>>> reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
>>> the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

>> Before you remove Moz completely, create a new profile and test it
>> out. See if your problem still continues.
>>
>> Otherwise, if you really want to remove it, then you can use Windows
>> Add/Remove program from your Control Panel. Or when you reinstall Moz
>> will ask you if you want to remove the old settings. Say Yes.
>>
>> Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
>> When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.
>>
>> Andreas

> I have a feeling that there is something about my profile that is
> causing my problems. That's why I want to COMPLETELY remove Mozilla,
> including profiles. But I want to tuck away my good stuff first so I
> can load it in after I get Mozilla working again.

If that's the case then create a new profile and test it out. If you
want more info about profiles, then read this. Don't worry about it
saying Netscape. Netscape and Moz are related.
http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/

Andreas

To contact me remove the NOSPAM

.BRIAN.

William W. Plummer wrote:

> Andreas wrote:
>
>> Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
>> When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.
>>

> I have a feeling that there is something about my profile that is
> causing my problems. That's why I want to COMPLETELY remove Mozilla,
> including profiles. But I want to tuck away my good stuff first so I
> can load it in after I get Mozilla working again.

Which is it? You want to completely remove "Mozilla", or you want to
save your profile, and delete everything else?

Regardless, if you think there is something wrong with your profile,
then try creating a new one. The program and profile are separate. If
you still do not believe in this, the simply remove Mozilla through
Windows Add/Remove and select the option to remove _all_ settings.

I'm glad I don't have such bad luck using Mozilla What are you guys
all doing to destroy your copies? (Again )

--
Cheers...

Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

William W. Plummer

..BRIAN. wrote:

> William W. Plummer wrote:
>
>> Andreas wrote:
>>
>>> Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
>>> When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.
>>>

>> I have a feeling that there is something about my profile that is
>> causing my problems. That's why I want to COMPLETELY remove Mozilla,
>> including profiles. But I want to tuck away my good stuff first so I
>> can load it in after I get Mozilla working again.

> Which is it? You want to completely remove "Mozilla", or you want to
> save your profile, and delete everything else?
>
> Regardless, if you think there is something wrong with your profile,
> then try creating a new one. The program and profile are separate. If
> you still do not believe in this, the simply remove Mozilla through
> Windows Add/Remove and select the option to remove _all_ settings.
>
> I'm glad I don't have such bad luck using Mozilla What are you guys
> all doing to destroy your copies? (Again )

My troubles began when I did something that cause Win2kP to change all
Windows-level profiles to "roaming". So C:\Documents and
Settings\User1 became C:\Documents and Settings\User1.Machine1 .
Windows was nice, and copied all of the original profile to the new,
roaming profile. So there should have been no difference in operation.
Understanding this, I deleted the old profiles (without the machine tag).

However, apparently Mozilla stores absolute path names to the profiles
in the registry. When it goes looking for profiles in ...User1 it
cant find them. They are now in User1.Machine1.

Ahha, said I, and copied the Local App\Mozilla part of the old profiles
into the new profile. The screwy file names might be a problem but...

Anyway, mail and news work. Browser just doesn't come up. It's
probably choking on something during initialization, but I would hope
that it would issue a readable complaint about exactly what is going wrong.

Keith Bowes

William W. Plummer wrote:
> OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
> reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
> the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

Read the release notes for your version (see
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/) to find your profile and what the
files within are.
Move the safe files you want to keep to another directory (as your
desktop) and then
uninstall the program, and remove your profiles and the other moz* files
from your computer.

You can move the files back later.

In other words, RTM.

William W. Plummer

Keith Bowes wrote:
> William W. Plummer wrote:
>
>> OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
>> reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
>> the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

> Read the release notes for your version (see
> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/) to find your profile and what the
> files within are.
> Move the safe files you want to keep to another directory (as your
> desktop) and then
> uninstall the program, and remove your profiles and the other moz* files
> from your computer.
>
> You can move the files back later.
>

> In other words, RTM.

That a great response. First, I didn't know a manual exists. Second,
I didn't know the URL for it. Third, my *browser doesn't work*.