Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > image related thing in website

image related thing in website

Navu

hi all

i m using a lot of small images in my website.
Right now they take a lot of time to get downloaded all the images
becoz of HTTP request for all the seperate images.
Pls suggest me some way by using which all the images can be merged in
to one file and then all get downloaded at the client site in one HTTP
request.
Thanx

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Navu wrote:

> Pls suggest me some way by using which all the images can be
> merged in to one file and then all get downloaded at the client
> site in one HTTP request.

You can use multipart HTTP responses or any compact/compression
algorithm to serve the data of all images in one request, and you
can use the corresponding extract/decompression algorithm to
decompress the response body. However, there is no interoperable
means to display the extracted/decompressed data; `data:' URIs do
not work everywhere, and otherwise required host objects are not
always available.

You can only speed up the process reliably if your server allows
for (more) parallel connections from a client; preloading in
different ways is possible, but not reliable.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> You can only speed up the process reliably if your server allows
> for (more) parallel connections from a client; preloading in
> different ways is possible, but not reliable.

Where it should be added that you can serve _one_ resource in _one_
request gzip-compressed if the client supports that (watch for the
"Accept-Encoding: gzip" header) which also further speeds up the
download process. See also <URL:http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/>
which refers to the cgi_buffer library.

PointedEars