Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Refer to a table row using a variable?

Refer to a table row using a variable?

spam@pinkdoggy.net

Hi, I hope someone can help me with what is probably quite an easy
question!

I need to store a string in a variable, and then use that variable to
refer to a table row. For example:

var row = 'row10';
[row].style.backgroundcolor='white';

My row is defined as:

If I use "row10.style.backgroundcolor='white' then it works, but if I
use the variable then it doesn't. I have tried it with and without
square brackets. What I am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Mark

Martin Honnen

> var row = 'row10';

> My row is defined as:

Have you never heard about
var element = document.getElementById(row);
then? That is the main way in the W3C DOM to access an element by the
value of its id attribute, whether that is a tr element or just about
any other element in a HTML document.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

spam@pinkdoggy.net

Thank you. I had never heard of that, but it's working now.

Cheers
Mark