Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Select elements on webpage in same way as with the explorer

Select elements on webpage in same way as with the explorer

Ask Josephsen

Hi Newsgroups

I was wondering if anyone know if (and how) it is possible to make an
html/css/js area on a webpage where you can select items by clicking in the
upper left, draggin the cursor to the lower right, leaving element in
between selected in a way a form can post? Exactly the same way as you
select a number of icons in the explorer or on your desktop.

Imagine an imagegallery with a list of thumbnails, I would like to let the
user mark a number of images and only view these selected ones. Preferably
it should work with the ctrl- and shift-button as well, but thats a minor
detail. As I can se, drag and drop of elements is possible (ex.
netvibes.com), but I have never seen any select-solution that works as in
your explorer. I'm sure it could be done in flash or java, but i'd rather
keep it in pure html/css/js.

Hope my question is clear - and that any of you can help me - thanx

Ask Josephsen

Jonas Raoni

Ask Josephsen (atinreklame.dk>) escreveu:
> I was wondering if anyone know if (and how) it is possible to make an
> html/css/js area on a webpage where you can select items by clicking in the
> upper left, draggin the cursor to the lower right, leaving element in
> between selected in a way a form can post? Exactly the same way as you
> select a number of icons in the explorer or on your desktop.

Today I'm without anything to do as always =/

As I like these dhtml stuff, I decided to implement your idea some
minutes ago, since I've done most of the code before, I just needed to
adapt... So, there are a lot of things that could be cut off to reduce
the code size, but I won't do it :]

The boxes are draggable and I also added the shift and ctrl behaviours
;]

<URL:http://jsfromhell.com/tmp/select.htm>

Take a look fast, I'll delete it from the site if my friend ask me
to...

--
Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
http://www.jsfromhell.com

Ask Josephsen

Thank you - that is so awsome !!

Thats a big help and exactly what I was looking for

--

Venlig hilsen

Ask Josephsen

web: www.minreklame.dk
"Jonas Raoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ask Josephsen (atinreklame.dk>) escreveu:
>> I was wondering if anyone know if (and how) it is possible to make an
>> html/css/js area on a webpage where you can select items by clicking in
>> the
>> upper left, draggin the cursor to the lower right, leaving element in
>> between selected in a way a form can post? Exactly the same way as you
>> select a number of icons in the explorer or on your desktop.

> Today I'm without anything to do as always =/
>
> As I like these dhtml stuff, I decided to implement your idea some
> minutes ago, since I've done most of the code before, I just needed to
> adapt... So, there are a lot of things that could be cut off to reduce
> the code size, but I won't do it :]
>
> The boxes are draggable and I also added the shift and ctrl behaviours
> ;]
>
> <URL:http://jsfromhell.com/tmp/select.htm>
>
> Take a look fast, I'll delete it from the site if my friend ask me
> to...
>

> --
> Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
> http://www.jsfromhell.com

Jonas Raoni

Ask Josephsen (atinreklame.dk>) escreveu:
> Thank you - that is so awsome !!

Not at all haha, you can improve the code and remove a lot of things, I
was lazy to write from the scratch and used my scripts ;]

> Thats a big help and exactly what I was looking for

Ok, I updated the code [http://jsfromhell.com/tmp/select.htm] now to
drag multiple items ;]

--
Jonas Raoni Soares Silva