Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Problem specifying file location for FileSystemObject and XML DOM parser...

Problem specifying file location for FileSystemObject and XML DOM parser...

ezmiller

Hi,
A bit of a mysterious problem. I am trying to load an xml file into a
page on the client using Microsoft's XML DOM parser and then write to
that same file using the FileSystemObject.

But when I do this the two objects seem to require different types of
inputs specifying the file and file path.

For instance, say my file is in a sub directory "data" of the
directory containing the html files containing the script. I can load
the xml file by feeding the following string "data/users.xml". But if
I were to give the same input to the FileSystemObject OpenTextFile
method it would be unable ot find the file. The reason seems to be
that the FileSystemObject's default directory is the Desktop.

What do I provide as input to these two different objects that will
specify the file? I want to be able to provide a relative path because
this thing I am writing will not always be on the same computer and I
cannot rely on a stable directory structure.