Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > JSON without AJAX

JSON without AJAX

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

> If I write a greasemonkey (Firefox extension)
> script, do I really have to worry if it works correctly in MSIE and
> Opera? Do I have to check for methods I -know- Firefox supports, and
> know the script won't be ever executed outside Greasemonkey sandbox?

Since Opera has introduced user.js-scripts that are compatible with
greasemonkey, then it would be nice if you check that it works there
too
<URL:http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/examples/>

But no, if you write for a specific platform, then obviously you need
only consider the variations inside that platform.
When nothing else is stated, in this group the default assumed
platform is the web in general, where you cannot safely make any
assumptions.

You make life much easier for yourself using standards, since they
are more likely to be supported on other platforms as well, should
you ever want to extend the scope to cover another platform - and
you only need to learn how to do things one way

/L

bwucke@gmail.com

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> You make life much easier for yourself using standards, since they
> are more likely to be supported on other platforms as well, should
> you ever want to extend the scope to cover another platform - and
> you only need to learn how to do things one way

Well, I do. Primarily because standards are best documented
(self-documenting) so they are easiest way to write. But then, when I
have my nice and pretty standards-compilant source, first, it doesn't
work in any real browser (except of Amaya maybe and second, it lacks
a few features that aren't part of any standard but are quite handy and
widely supported. So I start breaking my nice standard-compilant code
to make it work... Pity, but that's the state of things.