Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Open new maximized window

Reply
Thread Tools

Open new maximized window

 
 
Mateo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2005
Hi!

I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

Any idea how to do this?

Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with window.open?

I prefere multibrowser solution....


Thanx,
Mateo


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2005
Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
> Hi!
>
> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....


It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.

> Any idea how to do this?


You can't.

> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with window.open?


No.

> I prefere multibrowser solution....


Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
here so I can disable it in my browser?

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Willson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2005


Randy Webb wrote:
> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

>
>
> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
>
>> Any idea how to do this?

>
>
> You can't.
>

Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be
maximized, but it would use the whole screen.


>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
>> window.open?

>
>
> No.
>
>> I prefere multibrowser solution....

>
>
> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
> here so I can disable it in my browser?
>

Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2005
Dennis Willson said the following on 11/4/2005 6:03 PM:

>
>
> Randy Webb wrote:
>
>> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
>>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
>>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

>>
>>
>>
>> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
>>
>>> Any idea how to do this?

>>
>>
>>
>> You can't.
>>

> Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
> window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
> it would use the whole screen.


Thats not truly fullscreened. It also does not, and can not, take into
account tool/taskbars that may or may not be present. It does not take
into account where those bars are at. It also does not take into
consideration dual monitors. My desktop at the moment is 2560x1024. You
can not open a window that size on my PC though. So, what size should
the window be?

>
>>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
>>> window.open?

>>
>>
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> I prefere multibrowser solution....

>>
>>
>>
>> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
>> here so I can disable it in my browser?
>>

> Why?


Why would I want to disable fullscreen? Simple. If I want fullscreen, I
know how to get it. Since I don't have my browser set that way, I must
not want fullscreen. And I don't want some half-witted web-designer
attempting to force me to see what I want to see the way they
incorrectly think I should see it.

> Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen..


There is *never* a good reason to open a website full screen.


> Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...


Thats why my browser has scrollbars on it. So I can see those large
images, graphics or large tables.

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gérard Talbot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2005
Dennis Willson a écrit :
>
>
> Randy Webb wrote:
>
>> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
>>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
>>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

>>
>>
>>
>> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
>>
>>> Any idea how to do this?

>>
>>
>>
>> You can't.
>>

> Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
> window to those dimensions?


Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the user.

That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
> it would use the whole screen.
>
>
>>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
>>> window.open?

>>
>>
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> I prefere multibrowser solution....

>>
>>
>>
>> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
>> here so I can disable it in my browser?
>>

> Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
> large images or graphs.... Or large tables...


What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?

Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user using
a browser application or the web author coding a page?

How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set automatic
[large] image resizing feature?

The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features and
standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas for
the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes regarding
fullscreen=yes.

"window.open() with fullscreen=yes will now result in a maximized
window, not a kiosk mode window."

"The definition of the fullscreen=yes specification is changed to
mean 'show the window as maximized,' which will keep the title bar,
address bar, and status bar visible."

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs..._on_fullscreen

Why do people want so much to remove the status bar on my browser
application anyway, to begin with?

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Willson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2005


Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Dennis Willson a écrit :
>
>>
>>
>> Randy Webb wrote:
>>
>>> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
>>>
>>>> Hi!
>>>>
>>>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
>>>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
>>>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
>>>
>>>> Any idea how to do this?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You can't.
>>>

>> Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open
>> a window to those dimensions?

>
>
> Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
> taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
> then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the
> user.
>
> That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
>
>> it would use the whole screen.
>>
>>
>>>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
>>>> window.open?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> No.
>>>
>>>> I prefere multibrowser solution....
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
>>> here so I can disable it in my browser?
>>>

>> Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to
>> display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

>
>
> What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
> decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?
>
> Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
> window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user using
> a browser application or the web author coding a page?
>
> How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set automatic
> [large] image resizing feature?
>
> The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features and
> standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
> browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas for
> the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes regarding
> fullscreen=yes.
>


The discussion was MAXIMIZED not fullscreen.....



> "window.open() with fullscreen=yes will now result in a maximized
> window, not a kiosk mode window."
>
> "The definition of the fullscreen=yes specification is changed to
> mean 'show the window as maximized,' which will keep the title bar,
> address bar, and status bar visible."
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs..._on_fullscreen
>
> Why do people want so much to remove the status bar on my browser
> application anyway, to begin with?
>
> Gérard
> --
> remove blah to email me

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gérard Talbot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2005
Dennis Willson a écrit :
>
>
> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>
>> Dennis Willson a écrit :
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Randy Webb wrote:
>>>
>>>> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi!
>>>>>
>>>>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
>>>>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
>>>>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
>>>>
>>>>> Any idea how to do this?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You can't.
>>>>
>>> Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open
>>> a window to those dimensions?

>>
>>
>>
>> Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
>> taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
>> then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the
>> user.
>>
>> That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
>>
>>> it would use the whole screen.
>>>
>>>
>>>>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
>>>>> window.open?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> No.
>>>>
>>>>> I prefere multibrowser solution....
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
>>>> here so I can disable it in my browser?
>>>>
>>> Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to
>>> display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

>>
>>
>>
>> What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
>> decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?
>>
>> Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
>> window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user
>> using a browser application or the web author coding a page?
>>
>> How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set
>> automatic [large] image resizing feature?
>>
>> The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features
>> and standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
>> browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas
>> for the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes
>> regarding fullscreen=yes.
>>

>
> The discussion was MAXIMIZED not fullscreen.....
>


You said word for word the following:

"Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
it would use the whole screen. (...)
Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
large images or graphs.... Or large tables..."

and you got a reply about your very own words, on those exact words.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maximized window by default desh Java 1 04-17-2006 12:21 PM
window.open popup from maximized parent page? Bob Javascript 3 09-23-2005 08:00 PM
Open PDF File in Maximized Window leneker Javascript 1 06-02-2005 04:07 AM
javascript to have a new browser window open maximized or aligned top Peter Javascript 2 09-18-2003 10:19 PM
Open Maximized jowl Computer Support 1 06-29-2003 02:19 PM



Advertisments