Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Print high-resolution image

Print high-resolution image

Ben Amada

Hi group. I'm going to display a low resolution image in an HTML page. On
the web server, I have a high resolution version of that image. If I
display the high resolution image in the browser for the visitor to print,
won't the DPI of the image be reduced to 72 dpi and lose resolution when the
visitor goes to print the image? If this is wrong, please let me know. If
this is correct, is there a way in JavaScript to be able to send the high
resolution image to the visitor's printer directly from the web server? In
other words, skip showing the high resolution image on the screen to avoid
losing quality.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Thanks,
Ben

alu

"Ben Amada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
<snip>
> If I display the high resolution image in the browser for the visitor to

print,
> won't the DPI of the image be reduced to 72 dpi and lose resolution when

the
> visitor goes to print the image? If this is wrong, please let me know.

Ok I will - this is wrong. Why not try it?
A browser will render an image to its pixel dimensions, which is entirely
independent of resolution.
i.e., a 3000px x 4000px image at 300ppi or 72ppi is still 3000px x
4000px.
-alu

Ben Amada

alu wrote:

> Ok I will - this is wrong. Why not try it?
> A browser will render an image to its pixel dimensions, which is entirely
> independent of resolution.
> i.e., a 3000px x 4000px image at 300ppi or 72ppi is still 3000px x
> 4000px.
> -alu

Hi alu,

Thanks for the reply - you're right. I'm going to experiment with it and
figure out exactly what I'm looking for.

Regards,
Ben