Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > IE needs to close

IE needs to close

mike

I have a parent page with a number of child rows on it.

When I press an onclick event on the parent page a child window opens
and deletes the child data from the db table, then the child window
passes back that row to the parent window.

The child window open up using:
mydeltaskwin =
window.open(mycgi,'task_delete','width=800,height= 400,top=50,left=50,scrollbars=no');

In the parent window I use some js code embedded in the parent page
like:
<script type="text/javascript" src="mycode.js"></script>

The code that executes in that js file looks like:
function delTaskRow(x,y)
{
var row_delete = document.getElementById("Task_Row_"+y);
if ( this_num == lx && row_delete )
{
row_delete.parentNode.removeChild(row_delete);
}
}

If I have a number of rows that need to be deleted then pressing them
in succession ultimately causes an error in IE and I get the message:

IE experienced a problem and needs to close! debug, close.

Is this happening because I am using some code that is inconsistent?

I am wondering if it is because IE open the windows and then they
close, but the reminants of them are somewhere still in memory and then
it gets confused.

Anyone experience this kind of thing?

Mike

RobG

mike wrote:
> I have a parent page with a number of child rows on it.
>
> When I press an onclick event on the parent page a child window opens
> and deletes the child data from the db table, then the child window
> passes back that row to the parent window.
>
> The child window open up using:
> mydeltaskwin =
> window.open(mycgi,'task_delete','width=800,height= 400,top=50,left=50,scrollbars=no');
>
> In the parent window I use some js code embedded in the parent page
> like:
> <script type="text/javascript" src="mycode.js"></script>
>
> The code that executes in that js file looks like:
> function delTaskRow(x,y)
> {
> var row_delete = document.getElementById("Task_Row_"+y);
> if ( this_num == lx && row_delete )
> {
> row_delete.parentNode.removeChild(row_delete);
> }
> }
>
> If I have a number of rows that need to be deleted then pressing them
> in succession ultimately causes an error in IE and I get the message:
>
> IE experienced a problem and needs to close! debug, close.
>
> Is this happening because I am using some code that is inconsistent?
>
> I am wondering if it is because IE open the windows and then they
> close, but the reminants of them are somewhere still in memory and then
> it gets confused.

Closures may cause memory leak problems with IE, but nothing you have
here uses them. However, given what you are doing, it is quite possibly
happening - Google 'Javascript IE memory leak'.

Build a minimal test case that demonstrates the error and post it or
provide a link to your page (the DB interaction can be omitted). Often
while building the test case you will find your problem and be able to
express it more explicitly, if not fix it.

[...]

--
Rob