Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Internet Explorer and Netscape Dependent windows

Internet Explorer and Netscape Dependent windows

M B HONG 20

Hi all -

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Randy Webb

M B HONG 20 said the following on 9/14/2005 8:19 PM:

> Hi all -
>
> I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
> windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
> parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
> when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
> 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
> wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
> windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Use a modal dialog and hope the user doesn't have a half decent
popup-blocker.

--
Randy

Gérard Talbot

M B HONG 20 a écrit :
> Hi all -
>
> I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
> windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
> parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
> when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
> 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
> wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
> windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Everything is explained in this document:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ality_features

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

Stephen Chalmers

M B HONG 20 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all -
>
> I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
> windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
> parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
> when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
> 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
> wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
> windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Do you want the full functionality of that feature, or just to have the new
window maintain focus until it is closed by the user?

--
S.C.

M B HONG 20

I am not concerned about pop up blockers, as users will have to disable
them to use our site. The thing is, I have a javascript menu on a main
screen, which opens child screens whenever an option is clicked. The
problem is, when a different option is clicked, the window that popped
up before goes behind the main page because the main page was clicked.
In Netscape/Mozilla the 'dependent' feature is a good way to circumvent
the losing of the windows behind the main one, but IE doesnt support
it. So i dont really care about keeping focus, but i want the windows
to stay up.
I am also aware of onBlur, focus fixes, but i was looking for something
cleaner in IE. Thanks.

M B HONG 20

How can i accomplish a modal dialog in a browser window?

Martin Honnen

M B HONG 20 wrote:

> I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
> windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
> parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
> when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
> 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
> wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
> windows using Internet Explorer.

With IE/Win you can use
window.showModelessDialog('http://example.com/')
the docs are here:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
It is not exactly the same as a dependent window with Mozilla/Netscape
but probably what you are looking for in terms of IE.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

M B HONG 20

Martin -

Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
hotkey?

Martin Honnen

M B HONG 20 wrote:

> Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
> noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
> window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
> hotkey?

You will have to live with the features described in
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
for setting certain stuff when the modeless dialog is being opened.
Browsers do not expose a function to script to minimize a window.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/