Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Future date avoids download?

Future date avoids download?

AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com

Hi all.

I have a simulation on my webpage that requires very fast replacements
of one gif with another. I have preloaded my images. That caused a
vast speed improvement. It still is not quite fast enough, however. I
notice that it is completely fast enough when I tell my browser not to
check whether the files are out of date. Of course, I can't tell my
user to change his browser settings.

If I give all my gif files a date in 2007, will my browser (or some
browsers) decide that they don't need to check for a newer version? I
could test and find out, I suppose, but the difference is subtle and
depends on whether my ISP is having a good day. Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

Rick

AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com

Hm. Interesting idea, Dr. Clue. Sounds challenging, though. Is there
an example of this "shuffling rather than loading" on line or in a
book?

Regards,

Rick