Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Opening new browser window in 2nd monitor?

Opening new browser window in 2nd monitor?

santiago538@yahoo.com

Hi,

Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

David Dorward

> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
> new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
starts at - but EUGH)..

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Randy Webb

(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
> new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
> only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
4 monitors?

--
Randy

Jim Davis

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dfnm9o$m02$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
>> new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

> No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
> starts at - but EUGH)..

That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
resolutions.

There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
from the primary screen for example).

Jim Davis

Randy Webb

Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dfnm9o$m02$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
>>>new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

>>No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
>>starts at - but EUGH)..

> That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
> resolutions.
>
> There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
> only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
> from the primary screen for example).

That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the
total width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them
arranged. I can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

--
Randy

Gérard Talbot

Randy Webb a écrit :
> (E-Mail Removed) said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
>> new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
>> only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

> And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
> 4 monitors?

Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

Randy Webb

Gérard Talbot said the following on 9/8/2005 12:19 AM:
> Randy Webb a écrit :
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
>>> new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
>>> only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

>> And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3
>> or 4 monitors?
>>

> Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that.

I have a setup at work that has 8, they paid a bundle for it. At home, I
have 2 but I want 2 more but the bucks just make it, well, prohibitve.
But the issues are the same.

--
Randy

Jim Davis

"Randy Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
>> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dfnm9o$m02$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
>>>starts at - but EUGH)..

>> That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
>> resolutions.
>>
>> There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part
>> JavaScript only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will
>> always come back from the primary screen for example).

> That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the total
> width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them arranged. I
> can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

I should have have said "display" not screen (which is the wrong word for
this)... of course JavaScript doesn't know anything about "Screens" (or if
you even have a monitor) just about defined "displays". I'll bet in your
case these aren't independent displays.

There are two general multi-monitor display options available:

1) Spanned display: this option "stretches" your desktop across multiple
monitors. Although there ARE multiple monitors applications actually only
see one primary display (with an odd resolution). Most spanned displays are
limited to the same resolution and color depth on all monitors. Although
you have multiple monitors you have only one "display" (the primary one)
stretched across them - and JavaScript sees only that.

2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
on the (smaller) secondary display.

It would be nice if the scripting engine could return, instead, an array of
display information which each element being a collection of screen
information (thus an array of three elements would represent three
independent displays). In this vein a way to retrieve which of these
displays is the current "home" of the browser would be nice as well.

Jim Davis

ZER0

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

Firstly, sorry for my english...

[cut]
> 2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
> color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
> display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
> 16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
> information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
> on the (smaller) secondary display.

I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
where the browser window is located.

--
~ "Nell'anno 1969 è bastata la potenza di calcolo di due Commodore 64 per
mandare con successo una navicella sulla Luna. Nell'anno 2003 è

Jim Davis

"ZER0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:
>
> Firstly, sorry for my english...
>
> [cut]
>> 2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the
>> independent
>> color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280
>> primary
>> display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display
>> in
>> 16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only
>> returns
>> information on the primary display even if the browser window is
>> currently
>> on the (smaller) secondary display.

> I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
> Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
> where the browser window is located.

Cool - the last time I tried in FF is was doing the same as IE.

Neat to know.

Jim Davis