Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Scrollbars appear when clicking a Javascript link in IE

Scrollbars appear when clicking a Javascript link in IE

Andrew Phillipo

I have a layout which works perfectly. It is three column, the central
column is width:auto; with margins and the columns are absolutely
positioned at top:0px; left:0px; and top:0px;right:0px;

In the right column I have a javascript link which hides the column.
This is very necessary due to the width of content shown on the site at
times.

Clicking the link makes the scrollbars appear for no aparent reason -
both horizontal by about 1px and vertical by about 10px - even if you
completely remove the functionality of the javascript function executed
by clicking (i.e. it becomes an empty function).

Does anyone have a clue as to what this might be caused by.

Thanks kindly,

Andy.

Lee

Andrew Phillipo said:

>In the right column I have a javascript link which hides the column.
>This is very necessary due to the width of content shown on the site at
>times.
>
>Clicking the link makes the scrollbars appear for no aparent reason

It probably depends on what, exactly, you're calling a "javascript link".

Randy Webb

Dr Clue said the following on 9/5/2005 3:24 PM:

> When you hide the column , also move it to some -500px ,-500px or such
> so that it's width will not go outside the right / bottom of the screen
> Then when you show the column again make sure to move the layer back
> before making it visible.
>
> Then again , you could skip the visibility all togeather , and just move
> it on and off screen as need.
>
> Doing this will make the scrollbars leave you alone.

Or, just set it's display to none which takes it out of the page flow.....

--
Randy
Question: Why?

Andrew Phillipo

Thanks for your responses - problem is - even if I make the link
something like this there is still a problem:

<script type="text/javascript">

function righthide() {
// intentionally left blank
}

function voidfn() { ; }

</script>

as you can understand this VERY weird. Any more advice appreciated!

RobG

Andrew Phillipo wrote:
[...]

> as you can understand this VERY weird. Any more advice appreciated!

I can't replicate your issue at all. Your problem may have nothing at
all to do with JavaScript, try asking your question in:

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets.

They wil likely want a link to a page that shows the issue - the
snippets of CSS and script posted here will not suffice.

--
Rob

Richard Cornford

Andrew Phillipo wrote:
> Thanks for your responses - problem is - even if I make
> the link something like this there is still a problem:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
>
> function righthide() {
> // intentionally left blank
> }
>
> function voidfn() { ; }
>
> </script>

> as you can understand this VERY weird.

If scrollbars appear when you activate the link you would imagine that
the page has become larger, maybe because some of its contents become
larger. This is the sort of question that is best resolved with a
minimal test case that shows the complete code. You have not provided
enough for anyone else to reproduce, or examine, the behaviour, so you
may never get to fully understand what is happening.

However, if the effect is observed when all the functions called do
nothing it cannot be the action of your code that causes the symptoms.

There are two possible state changes that may follow from clicking on a
link. The first is that the link will go from its normal (or 'hover')
state to an 'active' state, which is often styled differently, and so
may be a larger size. This is unlikely, as browser's default style
sheets do not tend to change the style of links in a way that would
result in them being larger when 'active'.

The other state change follows from the act of executing a javascript
pseudo-protocol HREF. It appears that many browsers respond to the use
of a javascript pseudo-protocol HREF in the same way as they respond to
navigation, putting the browser into a 'waiting' state in anticipation
of the contents of the page being replaced in the near future. Of course
when a javascript pseudo-protocol does not result in the replacement of
the current page this new state is not terminated by the arrival of a
replacement page.

This waiting state has numerous diverse symptoms across different
browsers. The most demonstrable one being on Windows IE, where animated
GIF images stop animating at the point of activation of a javascript
pseudo-protocol. But much other unexpected behaviour has been identified
as following from the execution of javascript pseudo-protocol HREF.

However, to date I have never seen the appearance of scrollbars being
attributed to this cause. But that is not necessarily significant as an
awareness of this state change, and other issues with the use of the
pseudo-protocol in HREFs that do not result in the replacement of the
current page, results in the standard advice being to never use a
javascript pseudo-protocol HREF, and avoiding their use entirely acts
against being able to become familiar with the full spectrum of
symptoms.

It remains the sort of question that can only be finally resolved with a
complete, minimal test-case page, and details of which environment(s)
exhibit the symptoms.

> Any more advice appreciated!

There are long established conventions in the construction and
formatting of newsgroup posts. They are outlined in this group's FAQ,
and disregarding them will result in your posts being disregarded, and
particularly by a significant proportion of the contributors to this
group who are capable of providing the best informed advice. You would
be well advised to become familiar with those conventions, and use them
when posting to the group.

Richard.