Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Send Page by Email!!!

Send Page by Email!!!

Sujan

Hello all,

I hope, you people do have used File >> Send >> Page by Email. Is there
any code to do the same thing.

I'm doing a project which uses fullscreen browser window, and I'm usign
all my own, like Back button, Forward button, Stop button, Refresh
Button and so on. And I'm looking for the code which does the same
thing as this command does "File >> Send >> Page by Email". If its
possible and any know, please let me/us know.

ThankQ in Advanced...

Sujan

Ivo

"Sujan" wrote

> I hope, you people do have used File >> Send >> Page by Email. Is there
> any code to do the same thing.
>
> I'm doing a project which uses fullscreen browser window, and I'm usign
> all my own, like Back button, Forward button, Stop button, Refresh
> Button and so on. And I'm looking for the code which does the same
> thing as this command does "File >> Send >> Page by Email". If its
> possible and any know, please let me/us know.

I 'm afraid not. Any <a href="mailto:..."> link has some problems which are
inherent to the use of the protocol on the 'net (not every computer has a
email client installed, or registered with the browser in use), pre-filling
the body or any field other than the destination address is not possible is
all environments, but filling it with the complete source code of a
fullscreen webpage is simply not possible anywhere. I just tested using IE6
and Outlook Express 5.5, and found that a href of 2032 characters would go
through, but one more character and a message popped up saying I didn't have
a properly installed email client.
Rethink your needs, and perhaps settle for emailing a dry url instead.
hth
ivo

RobG

Ivo wrote:
> "Sujan" wrote
>
>>I hope, you people do have used File >> Send >> Page by Email. Is there
>>any code to do the same thing.

[...]

> I 'm afraid not. Any <a href="mailto:..."> link has some problems which are
> inherent to the use of the protocol on the 'net (not every computer has a
> email client installed, or registered with the browser in use), pre-filling
> the body or any field other than the destination address is not possible is
> all environments, but filling it with the complete source code of a
> fullscreen webpage is simply not possible anywhere. I just tested using IE6
> and Outlook Express 5.5, and found that a href of 2032 characters would go
> through, but one more character and a message popped up saying I didn't have
> a properly installed email client.

Other mail clients have even smaller limits on the number of characters
in the body - I think Lotus Notes is about 200 - and some likely don't
support it at all.

> Rethink your needs, and perhaps settle for emailing a dry url instead.

Spot on. An alternative may be to use 'Save as', create an archive (say
ZIP) and send it as an attachment - JavaScript is not the solution.

--
Rob