Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > onbeforeunload and a warning against loosing data

onbeforeunload and a warning against loosing data

My4

Dear Sirs,

I want to give the user of my intranet a warning that if he uses the
explorers right corner 'X' to close the browser he looses his information. I
tried to prevent him from closing, or saving the data, but this seems
impossible, so a warning like 'the things you just typed must be entered
again probably' is good enough. I prefere onbeforeunload for onunload, which
is more standard, since the data that is soon to be lost, are still readable
on the screen.

I have two questions I cannot find the answer for using for example google:

1. To date, how standard is this event? The intranet users only use I.E. and
Netscape, and we can control the versions.

2. When is this event exactly fired? It seems that in I.E. it is not only
fired when using the corner "X" but also when I use a popup window to open a
calender in the form. Hence the effect was that I got a message: 'your data
is lost' when I opened a calender subwindow. Which is nonsence off course.
Can I check somehow where the event comes from? Or is there another clever
way to prevent this from happening

Kind Regards,

Jalisey Leyanis Escalona Alvarez

Lee

My4 said:

>Dear Sirs,
>
>I want to give the user of my intranet a warning that if he uses the
>explorers right corner 'X' to close the browser he looses his information.

To "loose" something means to release it, willingly.
Maybe you mean "lose"?

VK

> onbeforeunload and a warning against loosing data

By using a bit Google Groups search:

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/9e071a9d1bfb53af/afd6ed772e04fa6d?lnk=st&q=onbeforeunload+group:com p.lang.javascript+author:VK&rnum=5&hl=en#afd6ed772 e04fa6d>

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/2b000aaf0703810a/0f741ad09b618ae6?lnk=st&q=sorry+life+group:comp.la ng.javascript+author:VK&rnum=1&hl=en#0f741ad09b618 ae6>

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/1b5b03d812669f78/9c50a94a1dcfd751?lnk=st&q=onbeforeunload+group:com p.lang.javascript+author:VK&rnum=1&hl=en#9c50a94a1 dcfd751>

Please pay special attention to the last thread. In a good programming
environment you don't need to *nug your clients* that they gonna lose
their data. You have to ensure that *they will not loose their data*
neither in case of the window closure, nor in case the computer
shootdown, nor in any other. This goes beyond the scope of JavaScript
though. The first two threads explain the loosy (double "o" way to
handle the situation by staying withing the client-side scripting.

VK

> *they will not loose their data*

It's getting contagious

*they will not LOSE their data*

My4

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef

> To "loose" something means to release it, willingly.
> Maybe you mean "lose"?

Are you a school teacher??

Please understand that English is not the first language of many posting on
the newsgroups and it;s annoying if you get corrected for each little
spelling mistake you make. More then that even, most people who know English
or do have English as a first language are not able to make one decent
sentence in another language themselves.

So if you want to play teacher, please translate my first message in Dutch,
Spanish, German and French, so I can make comments?

My4

"VK" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef

> By using a bit Google Groups search:

Thank you, I found that information really usefull