Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Can we assign/get read/write registry values through javascript/vbscript?

Can we assign/get read/write registry values through javascript/vbscript?

jayanth.vishnuvardhan@gmail.com

Hi All,

Can any one help me on how to read & write the local machines registry
values through scripting language. (vbscript/javscript)?

I tried with Wscript.Shell Command & but with this we need to change
the client browser setting's of each machine which is not possible in
real scenario.

Can we get this functionality other than Wscript?

Jayanth

Martin Honnen

> Can any one help me on how to read & write the local machines registry
> values through scripting language. (vbscript/javscript)?
>
> I tried with Wscript.Shell Command & but with this we need to change
> the client browser setting's of each machine which is not possible in
> real scenario.

It sounds you know how to change registry settings on Windows with
J(ava)Script or VBScript already, and you are even aware that a browser
is a special host environment putting restrictions on script.
If you need to change registry settings with script then choose a host
environment like WSH or HTA where script is allowed to do that, from
inside IE with normal security settings it is not allowed and there are
no ways to circumvent that.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

VK

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can any one help me on how to read & write the local machines registry
> values through scripting language. (vbscript/javscript)?
>
> I tried with Wscript.Shell Command & but with this we need to change
> the client browser setting's of each machine which is not possible in
> real scenario.
>
> Can we get this functionality other than Wscript?

You don't need WScript for this (neither JavaScript).

Simply make the right settings on one machine and export this branch
into .reg file.
The rest of your users will have to dowload it from the corporate
server and right-click / merge

Actually such thing as remote administration may appear useful, but
easier you do - better you get

philippe.laplanche@horus-si.com

Hi

You can use WshShell.RegRead, WshShell.RegDelete and WshShell.RegWrite

You can also easilly browse trough the registry using a module called
Regobj.dll

var objReg = new ActiveXObject("RegObj.Registry");

Regobj.dll is also supposed to let you access the registry remotely
(never used it though)

You may want to use your script inside an html application (.hta)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...taoverview.asp