Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Recording sound files from javascript

Recording sound files from javascript

lrandolph@swri.org

Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript
or html? We need to be able to record and convert to binary to send
via XML. If possible, we'd like this to be a server side process as
our customer does not want to have to install software on the client
workstations.

Thanks,

Lynne

web.dev

Hi Lynne,

>>Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript or html?

Javascript nor html have a mechanism in which it can take sound as
input.

You can however, have a form on a page and have the user give a sound
file to upload. But then you would have to know how to parse the
contents of sound file on the server side.

Matthew Lock

> Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript
> or html? We need to be able to record and convert to binary to send
> via XML. If possible, we'd like this to be a server side process as
> our customer does not want to have to install software on the client
> workstations.

Not in Javascript, but there seem to be some Java Applets that can
record audio on the client and upload it to a server:
http://www.javasonics.com/ If you want to roll your own see:
http://www.jsresources.org/

Interestingly it looks like xforms may support recording of audio from
a web page: http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/ch06.php

Sound recording rsp Computer Support 4 08-29-2011 02:30 AM
Choppy sound when recording Keith Computer Support 1 06-14-2004 09:56 PM
Re: Sound recording philo Computer Support 1 12-07-2003 09:17 PM
Re: Sound Recording - Runs out of memory jackson marshmallow Java 0 07-18-2003 08:49 AM
Re: Sound recording suggestions °Mike° Computer Support 0 07-06-2003 03:28 PM

Advertisments