Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Help with reloading frame page please

Help with reloading frame page please

Dynamo

Hi

My site uses frames and some of the frame pages are ranked higher in search
engine rankings than the main page. When somebody clicks on the link it takes
them to the frame page and they don't see my page as it should be viewed plus it
displays a javascript error.

I need a way using javascript so that when the link is clicked on in either
yahoo or lycos that it loads the main frame html page (not the subframe html)
and that the subframe html page is loaded into the correct frame within the
mainframe html page. Is this possible and how?

As ever any help greatly appreciated.

TIA
Dynamo

David Dorward

Dynamo wrote:

> My site uses frames and some of the frame pages are ranked higher in
> search engine rankings than the main page. When somebody clicks on the
> link it takes them to the frame page and they don't see my page as it
> should be viewed plus it displays a javascript error.

Ah, the joy of using frames.

> I need a way using javascript so that when the link is clicked on in
> either yahoo or lycos that it loads the main frame html page (not the
> subframe html) and that the subframe html page is loaded into the correct
> frame within the mainframe html page. Is this possible and how?

Option 1: Minimise the damage caused by frames

1. Create a new <frameset> document for every combination of pages that
might be viewed at once.
2. Make sure each has suitable <noframes> content
3. Make sure all your links are target="_top" and point to a <frameset>
document.
4. Write a robots.txt that asks search engines to keep out of the directory
you keep the documents intended to be viewed in the frameset.

Then you might consider something like:

if(top.location == self.location){
top.location = "http://www.example.com/frameset_for_this_page/";
}

Option 2: Get rid of the frames and use preprocessing, server side
programing or simple includes to include the common content in each.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

reloading frame page from popup...better solution to my problem? K B ASP .Net 0 12-21-2006 05:26 AM
Reloading target-frame after sending POST-Data Anita Meyer HTML 2 01-28-2005 01:23 PM
javascript frame break out without reloading Gareth Javascript 0 09-16-2004 03:00 PM
reloading a frame on a timer Ike HTML 2 02-18-2004 12:24 AM
how to redirect from 3 frame page to single page frame? Zalek Bloom ASP General 1 09-23-2003 02:23 PM

Advertisments