Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla & Firefox ignoring my Hosts file

Mozilla & Firefox ignoring my Hosts file

Captain Infinity

I'm baffled. I'm running a Win XP Pro machine. IE used my hosts file very
well. I've switched to Mozilla and then to Firefox and both ignore my
hosts file.

I've tried renaming it, as "hosts", "Hosts", and "HOSTS". I've tried
placing it in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
as well as
c:\windows\system32
and
c:\windows

No good. I still get connections to all the domains supposedly blocked.
My system at home is Win XP Home edition and Mozilla accesses the hosts
file just fine, and I get the annoying but soon-to-be fixed "connection
refused" popup. So I know it's working there. But here at work, pffft!

Any idea what might be going on?

**
Captain Infinity

.BRIAN.

Captain Infinity wrote:
> I'm baffled. I'm running a Win XP Pro machine. IE used my hosts file very
> well. I've switched to Mozilla and then to Firefox and both ignore my
> hosts file.
>
> I've tried renaming it, as "hosts", "Hosts", and "HOSTS". I've tried
> placing it in
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
> as well as
> c:\windows\system32
> and
> c:\windows
>
> No good. I still get connections to all the domains supposedly blocked.
> My system at home is Win XP Home edition and Mozilla accesses the hosts
> file just fine, and I get the annoying but soon-to-be fixed "connection
> refused" popup. So I know it's working there. But here at work, pffft!
>
> Any idea what might be going on?
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

Hmm... that's interesting, because the last time I checked, the host
file is part of Windows -- not the browser. It's Windows (TCP/IP
specifically) using the file, not the browser. But if I'm wrong,
someone please let me know.

Maybe you have extensions hidden and notepad (or whatever text editor
you were using) saved it as a .txt file instead of just "hosts". Just a
thought.

Or maybe your work is using a proxy server which would bypass the
"hosts" file.

I don't understand why your configuration works with IE, but not
Mozilla. Makes no sense to me at all. Please let us know when you
figure out the solution.

BTW, you can stop that "connection refused" popup by typing about:config
in the address bar, then changing the following line from "false" to "true":

_browser.xul.error_pages.enabled_

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Andreas

..BRIAN. wrote:

> Captain Infinity wrote:
>
>> I'm baffled. I'm running a Win XP Pro machine. IE used my hosts file
>> very
>> well. I've switched to Mozilla and then to Firefox and both ignore my
>> hosts file.
>>
>> I've tried renaming it, as "hosts", "Hosts", and "HOSTS". I've tried
>> placing it in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
>> as well as
>> c:\windows\system32
>> and
>> c:\windows
>>
>> No good. I still get connections to all the domains supposedly blocked.
>> My system at home is Win XP Home edition and Mozilla accesses the hosts
>> file just fine, and I get the annoying but soon-to-be fixed "connection
>> refused" popup. So I know it's working there. But here at work, pffft!
>>
>> Any idea what might be going on?
>>

>> ** Captain Infinity
>>

> Hmm... that's interesting, because the last time I checked, the host
> file is part of Windows -- not the browser. It's Windows (TCP/IP
> specifically) using the file, not the browser. But if I'm wrong,
> someone please let me know.
>
> Maybe you have extensions hidden and notepad (or whatever text editor
> you were using) saved it as a .txt file instead of just "hosts". Just a
> thought.
>
> Or maybe your work is using a proxy server which would bypass the
> "hosts" file.
>
> I don't understand why your configuration works with IE, but not
> Mozilla. Makes no sense to me at all. Please let us know when you
> figure out the solution.
>
> BTW, you can stop that "connection refused" popup by typing about:config
> in the address bar, then changing the following line from "false" to
> "true":
>
> _browser.xul.error_pages.enabled_

I use my Hosts file all the time with no problems, and I have about
10,000 entries. However, I do use it in conjunction with Spyblocker and
it blocks 99% of the adds. Its now a shareware file, but you can still
find the FREE version out there,
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program...ProgramID=1381

It works great with my Mozilla.

Andreas

nlsteffens nlsteffens is offline
Junior Member

If the hosts file is not working with mozilla firefox, clear the cache file by clicking tools->clear private data. Clear all fields except for 'cache' and then click on 'clear private data now'. Restart firefox. The hosts file should now work as expected.

Regards,
Nick

Mikha Mikha is offline
Junior Member

Tried on FireFox 3.5.2:

1. Save updated Hosts file.
2. Go to the file menu, mark 'work offline'
3. Again go to the file menu, UNmark 'work offline'
4. Refresh site - it should work now.