Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Warning when scripting an ActiveX control.

Warning when scripting an ActiveX control.

Dave

I have this sample HTML code:

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
var WinHttpReq = new ActiveXObject("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1");
</script>
</head>

As you can see it really does nothing but instantiate an ActiveX
control.

"An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe
to interact with other parts of the page. Do you
want to allow this interaction?"

I'd like to turn this warning off since

* It's not a random ActiveX control it's a standard MS component
* It's not being installed from the internet. It's being loaded and run
from the local machine.

but from my reading I may not be able to do that. Does anyone know how
I can let IE6 know that it's safe to instantiate this object?

Thanks

Wintersrush

Hi
I am having the same issue. I have enabeled EVERYTHING on my computer,
active x, java this that and the other, and I still get that damn
warning and it won't load. *sigh* I would be equally grateful if
someone can tell me how to rub my computer belly just right to make it
work.

I've even went as far as to put everything on the lowest security
settings possible and shut off ALL the AntiSpyware crap from Microsoft
(just in case , since its Beta 1) but to no avail it still gave me that
little annoying error.

So I just put everything back up to full security since then.

*grumbles bastards*

Dave

In my case, if I click "Yes" on the warning the ActiveX control does in
fact load and it behaves correctly but I'm just trying to avoid being
asked each time.

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Hi
> I am having the same issue. I have enabeled EVERYTHING on my computer,
> active x, java this that and the other, and I still get that damn
> warning and it won't load. *sigh* I would be equally grateful if
> someone can tell me how to rub my computer belly just right to make it
> work.
>
> I've even went as far as to put everything on the lowest security
> settings possible and shut off ALL the AntiSpyware crap from Microsoft
> (just in case , since its Beta 1) but to no avail it still gave me that
> little annoying error.
>
> So I just put everything back up to full security since then.
>
> *grumbles bastards*

web.dev

Dave,

Have you tried going to (on IE) Tools > Internet Options > Security >
Custom Levels and then setting everything under Active X Controls &
plug-ins to be "Enabled" ?

Bonnett

Dave wrote:

> "An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe
> to interact with other parts of the page. Do you
> want to allow this interaction?"
>
> I'd like to turn this warning off since
>
> * It's not a random ActiveX control it's a standard MS component
> * It's not being installed from the internet. It's being loaded and run
> from the local machine.
>
> but from my reading I may not be able to do that. Does anyone know how
> I can let IE6 know that it's safe to instantiate this object?
>
> Thanks

I think you need the "Mark of the web" on your page -
http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm#markoftheweb - assuming you are using
IE6 SP2 that is.

Dave

Yes, I've set everything that I could to enable on both the "internet"
and "local intranet" zones.

Did you try the code in the original post? Did you see the same
problem?

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Dave,
>
> Have you tried going to (on IE) Tools > Internet Options > Security >
> Custom Levels and then setting everything under Active X Controls &
> plug-ins to be "Enabled" ?

Dave

I believe I've set everything with an "enable" option to enable in the
Internet, Local intranet and Trusted sites zones. This is in the
security tab of IE's Internet Options dialog...

Were you able to bring up the code from the original post without an
error?

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Dave,
>
> Have you tried going to (on IE) Tools > Internet Options > Security >
> Custom Levels and then setting everything under Active X Controls &
> plug-ins to be "Enabled" ?

Dave

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says..s

> I think you need the "Mark of the web" on your page -
> http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm#markoftheweb - assuming you are using
> IE6 SP2 that is.

Actually, I'm surprised to see that I'm NOT at SP2 on this computer.

I'm going try that first.

michael elias

If your site is intended for intranet use, use a hta file. They are a
more trusted version of IE and won't show you that pesky warning.
Pretty dumb from MS to even show that warning if it's one of their own
ActiveX' . Even the use of filters and transitions will show the
warning. tssss

Dave

It's not necessarily intended only for intranet use but I felt that was
the easiest case to handle first.

I'm not familiar with hta files but I'll do some google research. If
you have a good site for me that will explain how hta files may help me,
please pass it along.

I agree it seems crazy, I'm not asking users to download some unknown
ActiveX control, I'm just trying to use something that's part of
windows.

Thanks for the ideas...