Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > color wheel picker

color wheel picker

Andrew Poulos

I need to build a colour wheel. It has these specs:
- The user needs to be able to select a colour from it
- It should show as many colours as reasonable. The client wanted the
entire 16 million+ colour spectrum but I pointed out that at one colour
per pixel that's a 2,000 pixel square. It would be good to get thousands
of colours.
- The colours in the wheel should have a smooth transition across the wheel.

I was thinking of building the wheel in some other app and screen
capturing it and then using some arithmetic to work out the colour under
the cursor but the numbers are killing me.

Can anyone either tell me where I can find one or how I can go about
building one?

Andrew Poulos

RobB

Andrew Poulos wrote:
> I need to build a colour wheel. It has these specs:
> - The user needs to be able to select a colour from it
> - It should show as many colours as reasonable. The client wanted the
> entire 16 million+ colour spectrum but I pointed out that at one

colour
> per pixel that's a 2,000 pixel square. It would be good to get

thousands
> of colours.
> - The colours in the wheel should have a smooth transition across the

wheel.

> I was thinking of building the wheel in some other app and screen
> capturing it and then using some arithmetic to work out the colour

under
> the cursor but the numbers are killing me.
>
> Can anyone either tell me where I can find one or how I can go about
> building one?
>
> Andrew Poulos

Always kind of liked this one:

http://simplythebest.net/scripts/DHT...cript_115.html

Uses a jpg - but it's a reasonable weight for the task.

RobB

Not a wheel, but...

http://www.daltonlp.com/daltonlp.cgi...=1&item_id=174

Richard Cornford

Andrew Poulos wrote:
<snip>
> ... . The client wanted the entire 16 million+
> colour spectrum but I pointed out that
> at one colour per pixel that's a 2,000 pixel
> square. ...

<snip>
> I was thinking of building the wheel in some other app and screen
> capturing it and then using some arithmetic to work out the colour
> under the cursor but the numbers are killing me.

<snip>

Apparently the number are killing you. A square showing all of the 24
bit pallet would be 4096 pixels square.

Picking from a pre-created image, and deducing the colors form the
offsets is still going to be the most practical approach (if you insist
on having a 'color wheel' to start with) as otherwise you would need
thousands of individually colored HTML elements (table cells or DIVs or
something) and that would be a monstrous download (or an really slow
script) just for a minor GUI widget.

Richard.

color wheel Dale Digital Photography 22 12-14-2012 07:51 AM
How do I duplicate an underwater photo of a color wheel? self Digital Photography 5 11-30-2007 02:34 AM
Power of the color wheel Travis Newbury HTML 1 09-13-2007 05:35 AM
Color Picker in ASP.NET? VB Programmer ASP .Net 1 01-02-2006 08:23 PM
Color Picker Dialog Recommendations Smithers ASP .Net 0 02-23-2005 02:20 AM

Advertisments