Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Migrating ASP & COM+ to ASP .NET

Reply
Thread Tools

Migrating ASP & COM+ to ASP .NET

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Hi,

The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and database
logic for the site.

We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how we
can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several articles
which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP .NET
but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.

Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need to
convert our components to web services or something else ?

Any comments would be very welcome.

Mike Towers
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Hi Mike,

According to this, you should be able to use your COM+ without recompiling:

http://windows.oreilly.com/news/developasp_0301.html

"Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and database
> logic for the site.
>
> We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how we
> can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several
> articles
> which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP .NET
> but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.
>
> Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need
> to
> convert our components to web services or something else ?
>
> Any comments would be very welcome.
>
> Mike Towers


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Juan T. Llibre [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Hi Mike.

You can import the Type Library in your
COM components, and use them in ASP.NET,
with TLBImp.exe.

Run something like this line at the command line:

TLBImp C:\yourpath\yourCOM.DLL /Out:C:\yourpath\NewName.DLL

That will create a RCW (Runtime Callable Wrapper) NewName.DLL
at C:\yourpath.

Then, add it to the project reference from Menu Project
> Add Reference ... > Browse ...


For more information on tlbimp.exe, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rtlbimpexe.asp

Full instructions are found at :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...Assemblies.asp

and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...assemblies.asp
has specific instructions on how to generate them.

Good luck!


Juan T. Llibre
===========
"Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and database
> logic for the site.
>
> We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how we
> can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several

articles
> which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP .NET
> but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.
>
> Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need

to
> convert our components to web services or something else ?
>
> Any comments would be very welcome.
>
> Mike Towers





 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your COM
components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Neither a follower
nor a lender be.

"Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and database
> logic for the site.
>
> We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how we
> can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several

articles
> which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP .NET
> but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.
>
> Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need

to
> convert our components to web services or something else ?
>
> Any comments would be very welcome.
>
> Mike Towers



 
Reply With Quote
 
Juan T. Llibre [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
But, as a stopgap measure, until the applications
are fully ported to ASP.NET, InterOP does provide
an easy way to use the existing work, a way which,
except for very traffic-intensive applications, will
serve its purpose.

If you're not marshalling, the performance drag isn't much.

A tool like Compuware DevPartner Studio,
is of help in determing the exact performance drag,
and whether it's time for rewriting, or InterOP will do.

See http://www.vsj.co.uk/dotnet/display.asp?id=174




Juan T. Llibre
===========
"Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your

COM
> components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Neither a follower
> nor a lender be.
>
> "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and

database
> > logic for the site.
> >
> > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how

we
> > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several

> articles
> > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP

..NET
> > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.
> >
> > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need

> to
> > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> >
> > Any comments would be very welcome.
> >
> > Mike Towers

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a bit like
writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about calling
the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT Namespace
syntax in the ASP page ?

Thanks

Mike

"Kevin Spencer" wrote:

> Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your COM
> components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> ..Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Neither a follower
> nor a lender be.
>
> "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and database
> > logic for the site.
> >
> > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how we
> > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several

> articles
> > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP .NET
> > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+ components.
> >
> > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we need

> to
> > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> >
> > Any comments would be very welcome.
> >
> > Mike Towers

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Hi Mike,

Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Neither a follower
nor a lender be.

"Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a bit

like
> writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about

calling
> the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT

Namespace
> syntax in the ASP page ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>
> "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
>
> > Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> > performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your

COM
> > components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Kevin Spencer
> > ..Net Developer
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Neither a follower
> > nor a lender be.
> >
> > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> > > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and

database
> > > logic for the site.
> > >
> > > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how

we
> > > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several

> > articles
> > > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP

..NET
> > > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+

components.
> > >
> > > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> > > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we

need
> > to
> > > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> > >
> > > Any comments would be very welcome.
> > >
> > > Mike Towers

> >
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Last question.

Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into an
assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something like
that ?

Thanks

Mike Towers

"Kevin Spencer" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
> classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
> directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
> namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> ..Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> Neither a follower
> nor a lender be.
>
> "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a bit

> like
> > writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about

> calling
> > the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT

> Namespace
> > syntax in the ASP page ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> > > performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your

> COM
> > > components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
> > >
> > > --
> > > HTH,
> > > Kevin Spencer
> > > ..Net Developer
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Neither a follower
> > > nor a lender be.
> > >
> > > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> > > > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and

> database
> > > > logic for the site.
> > > >
> > > > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how

> we
> > > > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several
> > > articles
> > > > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP

> ..NET
> > > > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+

> components.
> > > >
> > > > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> > > > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we

> need
> > > to
> > > > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> > > >
> > > > Any comments would be very welcome.
> > > >
> > > > Mike Towers
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
NO REGISTRATION! Thats the kool part. You just have to reference the
assemply in your project. However, you can register it in the Global Assembly
Gache; but you have to give it a digital signature. No more .dll hell.
However, just Copy and Paste will deploy your app; but for a web app you
should but it in a special folder called bin which is located either in the
root directory of your website wwwroot/bin OR the root directory of your
virtual directory.

"Mike Towers" wrote:

> Last question.
>
> Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into an
> assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
> Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something like
> that ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Towers
>
> "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
> > classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
> > directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
> > namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Kevin Spencer
> > ..Net Developer
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Neither a follower
> > nor a lender be.
> >
> > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a bit

> > like
> > > writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about

> > calling
> > > the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT

> > Namespace
> > > syntax in the ASP page ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> > > > performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your

> > COM
> > > > components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > HTH,
> > > > Kevin Spencer
> > > > ..Net Developer
> > > > Microsoft MVP
> > > > Neither a follower
> > > > nor a lender be.
> > > >
> > > > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > >
> > > > > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and COM+
> > > > > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and

> > database
> > > > > logic for the site.
> > > > >
> > > > > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at how

> > we
> > > > > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several
> > > > articles
> > > > > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to ASP

> > ..NET
> > > > > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+

> > components.
> > > > >
> > > > > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there any
> > > > > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would we

> > need
> > > > to
> > > > > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> > > > >
> > > > > Any comments would be very welcome.
> > > > >
> > > > > Mike Towers
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >

> >
> >
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
> Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into
an
> assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
> Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something

like
> that ?


Just put them in the /bin folder of your app. That is one of the beauties of
..Net. No registration necessary.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Neither a follower
nor a lender be.

"Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last question.
>
> Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into

an
> assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
> Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something

like
> that ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Towers
>
> "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
> > classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
> > directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
> > namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Kevin Spencer
> > ..Net Developer
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Neither a follower
> > nor a lender be.
> >
> > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a

bit
> > like
> > > writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about

> > calling
> > > the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT

> > Namespace
> > > syntax in the ASP page ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
> > > > performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite

your
> > COM
> > > > components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > HTH,
> > > > Kevin Spencer
> > > > ..Net Developer
> > > > Microsoft MVP
> > > > Neither a follower
> > > > nor a lender be.
> > > >
> > > > "Mike Towers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > >
> > > > > The company I work for has a web site (IIS5) build using ASP and

COM+
> > > > > components which are written in VB6 and provide the business and

> > database
> > > > > logic for the site.
> > > > >
> > > > > We would very much like to start using ASP .NET and are looking at

how
> > we
> > > > > can migrate our ASP code and COM+ components. I have read several
> > > > articles
> > > > > which provide a fair amount of information about migrating ASP to

ASP
> > ..NET
> > > > > but haven't much information about what we do with our COM+

> > components.
> > > > >
> > > > > Can we use our COM+ components with ASP .NET and if so are there

any
> > > > > performance issues? If we can't what is the alternative? Would

we
> > need
> > > > to
> > > > > convert our components to web services or something else ?
> > > > >
> > > > > Any comments would be very welcome.
> > > > >
> > > > > Mike Towers
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >

> >
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie question: migrating "global variables" from ASP to ASP.NET =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmVhcyBIb2ZtYW5u?= ASP .Net 2 04-18-2005 01:53 PM
migrating ASP to ASP.NET BobRoyAce ASP .Net 3 01-20-2005 01:43 PM
Length of an if statement in dotnet (migrating from asp to asp.net) ASP .Net 5 05-28-2004 05:46 PM
Re: Best Practices - VSS integration with VS.NET, migrating our Classic ASP projects news.microsoft.com ASP .Net 0 05-03-2004 08:29 PM
migrating asp to aspl.net: includes? Davݭ ١risson ASP .Net 4 12-30-2003 09:48 PM



Advertisments