Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Wizards and State Machines

Wizards and State Machines

Tobin Harris

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has done any apps with lots of UI
Wizards? I'm currently finding myself doing loads of these, and am trying to
find a nice way of making things easier for myself.

I reckon that a wizard is basically a state machine, so it would be great if
anyone knows of any software for quickly wiring up state machines for
ASP.NET/c# for use as a GUI controller.

Has anyone tried this approach, or know of any tools that may help?

Tobin

I realise that the next .NET issue will include a wizard control. This is
great! However, I'm not on this version yet! Believe it or not, there isn't
a wizard control/helper out there for 1.1 either, from what I can find!...

clintonG

I've looked around myself and there are a couple of very light-weight wizard
builder implementations I won't waste time discussing. I've been struggling
with developing a 'process controller' wizard myself. I found what I
consider a decent implementation in Visual Studio Magazine, April 2003. The
code is VB I'm trying to convert to C# (not too successfully at the moment)
as I just posted "VB Class Conversion Assistance Needed" to
news://microsoft.public.languages.csharp if you care to read and comment
there.

You might want to check out the same article and the VB code yourself [1]
Article Locator Code: VS0304AN_T
Code Download: VS0304AN

Finally, the current implementation of the 2.0 Wizard control sucks. It
hides the state management that is useful but the rest of the control is
poorly developed, the templates are too funky to be taken seriously but it
does have promise by 3.0

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development

[1] http://www.visualstudiomagazine.com/

"Tobin Harris" <tobin@tobin_do_not_spam_harris.com> wrote in message
news:41abb4f2$0$1069$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone out there has done any apps with lots of UI
> Wizards? I'm currently finding myself doing loads of these, and am trying

> find a nice way of making things easier for myself.
>
> I reckon that a wizard is basically a state machine, so it would be great

if
> anyone knows of any software for quickly wiring up state machines for
> ASP.NET/c# for use as a GUI controller.
>
> Has anyone tried this approach, or know of any tools that may help?
>
> Tobin
>
> I realise that the next .NET issue will include a wizard control. This is
> great! However, I'm not on this version yet! Believe it or not, there

isn't
> a wizard control/helper out there for 1.1 either, from what I can find!...

Tobin Harris

"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might want to check out the same article and the VB code yourself [1]
> Article Locator Code: VS0304AN_T
> Code Download: VS0304AN

Hi Clinton,

Thanks very much for that - a very interesting article - definately need to
read further. I may decide to take your route and convert to c#.

Thanks

Tobin

> --
> <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
> Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
> NET (E-Mail Removed)
> URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/
>
> [1] http://www.visualstudiomagazine.com/
>

> "Tobin Harris" <tobin@tobin_do_not_spam_harris.com> wrote in message
> news:41abb4f2$0$1069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was just wondering if anyone out there has done any apps with lots of
>> UI
>> Wizards? I'm currently finding myself doing loads of these, and am trying

>> find a nice way of making things easier for myself.
>>
>> I reckon that a wizard is basically a state machine, so it would be great

> if
>> anyone knows of any software for quickly wiring up state machines for
>> ASP.NET/c# for use as a GUI controller.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this approach, or know of any tools that may help?
>>
>> Tobin
>>
>> I realise that the next .NET issue will include a wizard control. This is
>> great! However, I'm not on this version yet! Believe it or not, there

> isn't
>> a wizard control/helper out there for 1.1 either, from what I can
>> find!...

clintonG

I hope you take a shot at it Tobin. Are you going to send me a copy when
your through?
I'm on my second attempt trying to convert to C# and keep getting hung up
with the correct IProcess interface constructs.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
NET (E-Mail Removed)

"Tobin Harris" <tobin@tobin_do_not_spam_harris.com> wrote in message
news:41ac3e25$0$1067$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You might want to check out the same article and the VB code yourself

[1]
> > Article Locator Code: VS0304AN_T
> > Code Download: VS0304AN

> Hi Clinton,
>
> Thanks very much for that - a very interesting article - definately need

> read further. I may decide to take your route and convert to c#.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tobin
>
> > --
> > <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
> > Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
> > NET (E-Mail Removed)
> > URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/
> >
> > [1] http://www.visualstudiomagazine.com/
> >

> > "Tobin Harris" <tobin@tobin_do_not_spam_harris.com> wrote in message
> > news:41abb4f2$0$1069$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I was just wondering if anyone out there has done any apps with lots of
> >> UI
> >> Wizards? I'm currently finding myself doing loads of these, and am

trying
> >> find a nice way of making things easier for myself.
> >>
> >> I reckon that a wizard is basically a state machine, so it would be

great
> > if
> >> anyone knows of any software for quickly wiring up state machines for
> >> ASP.NET/c# for use as a GUI controller.
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried this approach, or know of any tools that may help?
> >>
> >> Tobin
> >>
> >> I realise that the next .NET issue will include a wizard control. This

is
> >> great! However, I'm not on this version yet! Believe it or not, there

> > isn't
> >> a wizard control/helper out there for 1.1 either, from what I can
> >> find!...

Tobin Harris

Hi Clinton

Yup, if I take a shot I'll definatley let you know. Still working out what
to do!

Thanks

Tobin

news:kM2rd.2012$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...