Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Instant messaging

Instant messaging

HTML-JSClub

My Javascript club has been wondering how to make an instant messanging
forum-type thing. A little help would be great. Thank you in advance.

Dominic Myers

check out dChat at
http://www.asgleonberg.de/dchat/ needs PHP but is
nice!
Cheers, Dom

"HTML-JSClub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My Javascript club has been wondering how to
> make an instant messanging
> forum-type thing. A little help would be great.
> Thank you in advance.

HTML-JSClub

Thanks...But, do I need a program to run these php files? I doesn't
open in Internet Explorer.

Dominic Myers

You'll need to have PHP and MySQL running on the
server that you'll be using. If'n you haven't then
I'm afraid that I'm stuck for suggestions without
further data. What is it that you're after doing?
There are a number of forum scripts out there
including phpBB (Which is nice), I like dChat
because it is so simple and easy to use but
YMMV...? I'm thinking that javascript isn't gonna
do you a great deal on it's own as it's strictly
client-side whereas php is a server-side scripting
language so messages can be stored in a database
(MySQL in this instance) and retrieved by others.
Cheers,
Dom

"HTML-JSClub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks...But, do I need a program to run these
> php files? I doesn't
> open in Internet Explorer.

HTML-JSClub

The type I'm after is basicly the type you and me are using right now.
Also, if I have a server where from can I download onto it PHP and
MySQL? Or do they come with the server?

BTW, thanks for answering all my questions so patiently.

Dominic Myers

HTML-JSClub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The type I'm after is basicly the type you and
> me are using right now.
> Also, if I have a server where from can I
> download onto it PHP and
> MySQL? Or do they come with the server?
>
> BTW, thanks for answering all my questions so
> patiently.

Hey chap, what are you after doing?

Generally speaking (and I'm going right down to
basics here) you have a web-site which is hosted
on a server, if this is a Linux based server then
the chances are that the server software is
Apache, if the hosting provider is any good then
there'll also be programs called PHP (Which is a
server-side scripting language) and MySQL (Which
is a Database) integrated with Apache, this set up
can be called LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).
There are other ways of setting up servers but
this is my preferred way.

Your web-pages are stored on the server and people
can access them, it's possible to put bits of
programs in your page and they'll do all sorts of
fancy things on the client's machine, these
programs are usually written in javascript.

So we've possibly got 2 sorts of scripting
languages now. One that resides and is processed
on the server and that can talk nicely to the
database, the other that resides on the pages you
write and is executed on the client machine. If
you want something with which to communicate with
two or more users of the same page using different
machines then javascript just isn't going do it,
at least not easily.

So we're looking at using a scripting language on
the server, which is where dChat might be useful
as it's a piece of cake to set up (as long as you
have MySQL and PHP) and not all that complicated
if you want to have a learn about what it is
you're doing.

Of course this is a simplistic explanation and I
dare say others will be able to offer alternative
suggestions...

Cheers,

Dom

HTML-JSClub

Oh. I get it now! Thanks for all your help Dom. See ya

HTML-JSClub

Sorry to ask more questions but how do I make dchat work?
Do I need to make a .htm file? If I do, how do I add all the dchat
stuff?

Thank you for your patience, Dom.