Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Popups in Firefox

Popups in Firefox

Michael Sullivan

Using version 0.9.2
Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to appear. I have
Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad Blocker extension
installed.
Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no graphics or text, just a white
box with the label at the top.
Any ideas?

.BRIAN.

Michael Sullivan wrote:

> Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
> appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
> Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
> graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
> ideas?

Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
say? Is it one specific site?

BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
vulnerabilities".
[http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...efox/releases]

Spybot -
[http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]

AdAware -
[http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]

Spyware Blaster -
[http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

gaspin

".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:wr6Rc.36099$sh.16249@fed1read06:

> Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
>> appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
>> Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
>> graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
>> ideas?

> Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
> say? Is it one specific site?
>
> BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
> vulnerabilities".
> [http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...efox/releases]
>
> Spybot -
> [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
>
> AdAware -
> [http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
>
> Spyware Blaster -
> [http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]

I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!

--BRIAN--

gaspin wrote:
> ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:wr6Rc.36099$sh.16249@fed1read06:
>

>>Michael Sullivan wrote:
>>

>>>Using version 0.9.2 Seems like all of a sudden popups have started to
>>>appear. I have Firefox set to block popups, and I have the Ad
>>>Blocker extension installed. Oh yeah, the popups that appear have no
>>>graphics or text, just a white box with the label at the top. Any
>>>ideas?

>>Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on the box
>>say? Is it one specific site?
>>
>>BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible security
>>vulnerabilities".
>>[http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...efox/releases]
>>
>>Spybot -
>>[http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
>>
>>AdAware -
>>[http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
>>
>>Spyware Blaster -
>>[http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]
>>

> I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
> is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
> Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
> I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
> about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!

You are obviously having an abnormal problem. I have never (not even
once) got a pop-up using either Mozilla or FF. Never. And I surf the
Internet all the time... and to some crazy sites. So before you chuck
Mozilla, I'd recommend waiting to find a solution to your problem. But
if you prefer IE, by all means go with that. Everyone has their own
preferences in life. Just so long as you know there is something
abnormal going on here... whether it's Mozilla or not... it's not
"normal" behavior, and I'm sure you fill find the solution sooner or later.

Now... I don't doubt you are having a problem. I'm just saying I have
never seen a pop-up. I took the time to search MozillaZine and have
found the following post which most likely discusses your problem:

Cheers.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Chaos Master

gaspin, gaspin, gaspin.... did you really write this article (<W_mdnY-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>) in newsgroup (alt.fan.mozilla) at the date of
(Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:21:26 -0500)?

[popups at sudden]

> I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP. There
> is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title bar:
> Specific POP Network ? Mozilla Firefox
> I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE). It is
> about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!

Strange. I visit almost every type of site (even the most 'popup-filled' porn
sites) with my Firefox, and almost no popups. Try discovering the URL for this
site, and blocking it in HOSTS file [1] (at least the popup will not bother you
trying to load).

Firefox 0.9.1+ (nightly from 7/8/2004).

[1] Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP: c:\windows\system32\hosts
Linux/UNIX: /etc/hosts (AFAIK - I have not used Linux for a while)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com

gaspin

--BRIAN-- wrote:

> gaspin wrote:
> > ".BRIAN." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in

> > > Any spyware installed on your computer? What does the label on
> > > the box say? Is it one specific site?
> > >
> > > BTW, the latest version of FF is 0.9.3 which fixes "4 possible
> > > security vulnerabilities".
> > > [http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...efox/releases]
> > >
> > > Spybot -
> > > [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html]
> > >
> > > AdAware -
> > > [http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware]
> > >
> > > Spyware Blaster -
> > > [http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html]
> > >

> > I have exactly the same problem with the same conditions as the OP.
> > There is no spyware on my machine. The white box says in the title
> > bar: Specific POP Network – Mozilla Firefox
> > I get more pop-ups with Firefox (0.9.3) than with IE (using MyIE).
> > It is about to get the heave-ho. Good, but no brass ring!
> >

> You are obviously having an abnormal problem. I have never (not even
> once) got a pop-up using either Mozilla or FF. Never. And I surf
> the Internet all the time... and to some crazy sites. So before you
> chuck Mozilla, I'd recommend waiting to find a solution to your
> problem. But if you prefer IE, by all means go with that. Everyone
> has their own preferences in life. Just so long as you know there is
> something abnormal going on here... whether it's Mozilla or not...
> it's not "normal" behavior, and I'm sure you fill find the solution
> sooner or later.
>
> Now... I don't doubt you are having a problem. I'm just saying I
> have never seen a pop-up. I took the time to search MozillaZine and
> have found the following post which most likely discusses your
> problem:
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=107681
>
> Cheers.

Brian, I read the mozillazine link and it describes exactly the problem
I am having. There appears to be one possible solution outlined there.
Thanks for your help.

Sullivan

I get these blank pop ups at usatoday.com mostly.
Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

Sullivan wrote:

> I get these blank pop ups at usatoday.com mostly.
> Mike

You can stop them with AdBlock.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Popups not working, even if Popups are allowed in IE Moe Sisko ASP .Net 1 08-04-2008 03:33 PM
Firefox stops blocking popups ttfg Firefox 3 03-16-2005 01:18 AM
Firefox 1.0 popups SCraig Firefox 3 01-27-2005 05:56 PM
Being pestered by popups / word lastig gevallen door popups. Martijn Computer Support 21 11-03-2004 06:45 PM
Firefox and popups sport0boy@netscape.net Firefox 5 09-27-2004 07:20 PM

Advertisments