Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

erikpaulmiller@gmail.com

I am trying to open up a blank email message by using the mailto: url.
I have noticed that it will work for any value under 2013 characters,
but once I have a To: list longer than 2014 chars then I get this IE
error "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client
is not properly installed".

I know that this is not the ideal solution to have this many people in
a To list, but it is a requirement that Outlook open up with a list of
emails based off certain criteria from the application.

If this is a limit of IE, does the same contraint apply to all IE 6
browsers, or could other users within my organization have a different
limit.

Any help would be great!

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I am trying to open up a blank email message by using the mailto: url.
> I have noticed that it will work for any value under 2013 characters,
> but once I have a To: list longer than 2014 chars then I get this IE
> error "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client
> is not properly installed".

How many addresses are you trying to send to!?

> I know that this is not the ideal solution to have this many people in
> a To list, but it is a requirement that Outlook open up with a list of
> emails based off certain criteria from the application.
>
> If this is a limit of IE, does the same contraint apply to all IE 6
> browsers, or could other users within my organization have a different
> limit.
>
> Any help would be great!

Use a form.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

erikpaulmiller@gmail.com

Well the number of addresses haven't really caused the problem. But,
it is basically about 75 emails that make up the 2014 chars.

I know I can use a WebForm to do this, but the owner specifically asked
for this and I want to find out what limtations there are to then
present this back to the owner.

RobG

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[...]
> If this is a limit of IE, does the same contraint apply to all IE 6
> browsers, or could other users within my organization have a different
> limit.
>
> Any help would be great!

I think the limit is imposed by the e-mail client. Lotus Notes
will only accept 200 characters in a mailto: link.

--
Rob

Zifud

RobG wrote:

> I think the limit is imposed by the e-mail client. Lotus Notes
> will only accept 200 characters in a mailto: link.

Yup

--
Zif