Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Calculate the number of WEEKDAYS between 2 dates?

Calculate the number of WEEKDAYS between 2 dates?

SimonC

Help needed for a Javascript beginner.

As above in the subject... i need a javascript to run this, but not in
the form of a web-page. I want to calculate it between 2 fields in a
database that i have extracted into a report writer.
Look forward to hearing..

Cheers...
SimonC

Mick White

SimonC wrote:
> Help needed for a Javascript beginner.
>
> As above in the subject... i need a javascript to run this, but not in
> the form of a web-page. I want to calculate it between 2 fields in a
> database that i have extracted into a report writer.
> Look forward to hearing..

Use the mySQL(or whatever) maths and date functions.
Mick

McKirahan

"SimonC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Help needed for a Javascript beginner.
>
> As above in the subject... i need a javascript to run this, but not in
> the form of a web-page. I want to calculate it between 2 fields in a
> database that i have extracted into a report writer.
> Look forward to hearing..
>
> Cheers...
> SimonC

Is VBScript an option? If so, look at "DateDiff()".

Cut-and-paste the following into an IE Address bar:

vbscriptateDiff("d",#01/01/2005#,#01/26/2005#)

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dated Tue, 25 Jan 2005
12:43:05, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, McKirahan <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted :
>"SimonC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> As above in the subject...

You could have copied it. Do not presume that the Subject line is readily
visible when the Body is being read. It is:
Calculate the number of WEEKDAYS between 2 dates?

> i need a javascript to run this, but not in
>> the form of a web-page. I want to calculate it between 2 fields in a
>> database that i have extracted into a report writer.
>> Look forward to hearing..

>Is VBScript an option? If so, look at "DateDiff()".
>
>Cut-and-paste the following into an IE Address bar:
>
>vbscriptateDiff("d",#01/01/2005#,#01/26/2005#)

It would help if you were both to read and understand the question
before answering. Your code gives me 25.

The OP is posting from the UK; he cannot be expected to want FFF dates.

The difference in those dates is 25 days.
There are 24 days between those dates.
There are 17 weekdays between those dates, or 18 inclusive (Sat..Wed).

You could have answered with corresponding javascript:
javascript:Math.round((new Date("2005/01/26")-new Date("2005/01/01"))/864e5)
also gives 25 from the address bar.

You do not need DateDiff :
vbscript:CDate(#01/26/2005#)-CDate(#01/01/2005#)
and indeed vbscript:#01/26/2005#-#01/01/2005#
give 25 too.

The OP can find what he needs in js-date7.htm, via FAQ; see below.
He will have to consider the meaning of "between".

Alternatively, the following method will do well enough for short
intervals (adapt for desired end-effects) :

D = new Date("2005/01/01")
E = new Date("2005/01/26").setHours(12)
N = 0
while (D<E) {
if (D.getDay()%6!=0) N++
D.setDate(D.getDate()+1)
}

Fred Oz

Dr John Stockton wrote:
[...]
> The OP can find what he needs in js-date7.htm, via FAQ; see below.

And the request for "weekdays" suggest business days, which are
affected by public holidays. Therefore reference to a calendar
may be required.

Allowing for international (or even interstate) variances
suggests some serious issues with attempting to accurately count
the number of business or working days.

> Alternatively, the following method will do well enough for short
> intervals (adapt for desired end-effects) :
>
> D = new Date("2005/01/01")
> E = new Date("2005/01/26").setHours(12)
> N = 0
> while (D<E) {
> if (D.getDay()%6!=0) N++
> D.setDate(D.getDate()+1)
> }

Neat accommodation of Sunday being day zero. Then again, the
test would be even simpler if Monday was zero...

--
Fred

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <vPXJd.286$(E-Mail Removed)>, dated Thu, 27
Jan 2005 01:52:27, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Fred Oz
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted :
>Dr John Stockton wrote:
>[...]
>> The OP can find what he needs in js-date7.htm, via FAQ; see below.

> And the request for "weekdays" suggest business days, which are
> affected by public holidays. Therefore reference to a calendar
> may be required.

Since the OP was posting from UK, I took him to mean what he wrote.

> Allowing for international (or even interstate) variances
> suggests some serious issues with attempting to accurately count
> the number of business or working days.

Interstate - what's that? <g>

But, at least in the UK, there are some things for which Mon-Fri differs
from Sat,Sun without being affected by holidays. For example, my
preferred Internet dial-up number currently works all day Sat,Sun but on
other days not between 08:00 & 18:00 - and that is totally unaffected by
Christmas Day and other holidays.

>> if (D.getDay()%6!=0) N++

> Neat accommodation of Sunday being day zero.

Available to all who read the newsgroup FAQ with care; as is stuff on
allowing for holidays.

> Then again, the
> test would be even simpler if Monday was zero...

Or if Sunday were seven, as called for by ISO 8601.

weekdays in range Jive Dadson Python 4 10-18-2009 11:04 AM
calculate weekdays Mike ASP .Net 1 07-14-2008 12:57 PM
calculate the number of days between two dates Luca Villa Perl Misc 2 11-11-2007 11:51 AM
Calculate number of non-weekend days between two dates? chrismo Ruby 2 01-16-2007 09:04 PM
Calculate Weekdays in ASP JP SIngh ASP General 2 07-13-2004 01:17 PM

Advertisments