Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Binding XML-RPC data to tables

Binding XML-RPC data to tables

FunGuySF

I've created an XML-RPC server, and would like to somehow bind the XML
server responses to a table for users to view. Here's the catch, that data
changes frequently (every few seconds), so I'm using setInterval to
periodically get updated XML content from the server.

Currently, the setInterval function requests the entire dataset, then
rewrites the entire table. I'm concerned that it's a waste of bandwidth,
and disrupts the user scrolling through the data whenever it rewrites.
Ideally, I'll have the XML-RPC server generate only data changed since the
last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.

Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?

Thanks!

BMR

FunGuySF a écrit :
> I've created an XML-RPC server, and would like to somehow bind the XML
> server responses to a table for users to view. Here's the catch, that data
> changes frequently (every few seconds), so I'm using setInterval to
> periodically get updated XML content from the server.
>
> Currently, the setInterval function requests the entire dataset, then
> rewrites the entire table. I'm concerned that it's a waste of bandwidth,
> and disrupts the user scrolling through the data whenever it rewrites.
> Ideally, I'll have the XML-RPC server generate only data changed since the
> last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.
>
> Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?
>
> Thanks!

Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
necessary cells content in the table ?

BMR

FunGuySF

"BMR" wrote in message

> Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
> necessary cells content in the table ?

That sounds like a winner... I'm just not sure how to go about it.

I imagine that I'd have to send, for example, some key data to the server,
so it knows what I have, then have it return any changes (adds, removes,
changes).

Then, I'm assuming I can use DOM features to search my own table to see what
should be updated? Where can I find specifics on methods I could use?

Thanks!

How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables and columns in tables) Chris Brat Python 5 08-22-2006 05:25 PM
Complex data binding question, binding child objects of a custom collection. JcFx ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 06-01-2005 04:01 PM
Tables within tables Otuatail HTML 7 08-02-2004 04:42 AM
Data Binding - using inline code vs. functions vs. straight binding Jordan ASP .Net 2 02-10-2004 08:32 PM
Text after 2 tables actually appears between 2 tables ! Peter Bassett HTML 3 08-15-2003 06:46 PM

Advertisments