Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Using SELECT value with onClick event

Using SELECT value with onClick event

yankee

Hi all,

I have the following HTML code:

<form>
<OPTION
VALUE="/cgi-bin/doctrack.cgi?update_doc=1&doc_id=27&version=1&revi sion=0&no_sop=SOP1435">SOP1435
<OPTION
VALUE="/cgi-bin/doctrack.cgi?update_doc=1&doc_id=3&version=1&revis ion=0&no_sop=SOP2223">SOP2223
<OPTION
VALUE="/cgi-bin/doctrack.cgi?update_doc=1&doc_id=5&version=1&revis ion=0&no_sop=SOP2224">SOP2224
<OPTION
VALUE="/cgi-bin/doctrack.cgi?update_doc=1&doc_id=33&version=1&revi sion=0&no_sop=SOP2225">SOP2225
</SELECT></td>
<BR>
<input type="button" value="Next -->"
onClick="document.forms[0].type.submit();">

When I click on the button, I have a javascript error. I just want to
execute the command into the "VALUE" argument when I click on the
button. How I can do that?

Thank you

Regards,
Yanick Quirion

Grant Wagner

"yankee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> When I click on the button, I have a javascript error. I just want to
> execute the command into the "VALUE" argument when I click on the
> button. How I can do that?

Give your <form> a default action:

<form action="noJS.html" method="GET">

Change the name and id of your <select> to something other than "type"
(a Select object has a "type" property which you are overriding by
naming it that). Also the name and the id should not be the same:

<select name="myType" id="myTypeId">

Then have a submit button as follows:

<input type="submit"
value="Next -->"
onclick="
var s = this.form.elements['myType'];
this.form.action = s.options[s.selectedIndex].value;
"

This way, if JavaScript is available, the -action- of the form will
change and the form will do a GET to the value of the currently selected
Optioin. If JavaScript is disabled or unavailable, the form will submit
to the default action you specified display a page telling the user the
form only works if they have JavaScript enabled.

--
Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

RobG

Grant Wagner wrote:
[...]
> ... Also the name and the id should not be the same:
>
> <select name="myType" id="myTypeId">

I thought id and name should be the same because of the way IE seems to
treat them as equals (in IE, getElementById('x') will get a named form
element named x even if it has no id, where as other browsers will only
get it if it has an id x).

Can you elaborate?

> Then have a submit button as follows:
>
> <input type="submit"
> value="Next -->"
> onclick="
> var s = this.form.elements['myType'];
> this.form.action = s.options[s.selectedIndex].value;
> "

Would this be better as an onsubmit on the form, rather than on onclick
on the submit button? To me that seems better from a maintenance point
of view, so the action, onsubmit, etc. are all coded in the same place
but there may be other issues to consider.

The OP has put the "submit" outside the form, will this.form... still
work? I think you are suggesting the submit be *in* the form, I'm not
sure the OP will realise that.

If the submit is to be triggered from outside the form, then that may
be an argument for including any actions in the form's onsubmit, rather
than on the button (though there are likely arguments both ways). I'd
be more curious as to why the submit is not in the form.

> This way, if JavaScript is available, the -action- of the form will
> change and the form will do a GET to the value of the currently selected
> Optioin. If JavaScript is disabled or unavailable, the form will submit
> to the default action you specified display a page telling the user the
> form only works if they have JavaScript enabled.

Or do the required function on the server?

--
Rob