Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > comments and constructive criticism wanted

comments and constructive criticism wanted

steven

http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm

(Only the calendar navigation links work)

Hywel Jenkins

In article <JfQAd.14918$%(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
>
> (Only the calendar navigation links work)

It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
PITA. Why not just make the days clickable? Have the week/month
navigation in a more logical position.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

Michael Winter

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:54:49 GMT, steven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
>
> (Only the calendar navigation links work)

Considering that majority of the work isn't yours, what precisely do you
want critiqued?

Aside from the problems that were pointed out in ciwas, the code clutters
the global namespace. Reusable code like this would best be presented as
an object, adhering to practices you'd expect for software development in
general.

Mike

Please don't multi-post.
<URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html>

--
Michael Winter

steven

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <JfQAd.14918$%(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
> >
> > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
> >

> It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
> PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.

> Have the week/month
> navigation in a more logical position.

Like above or below the calendar, you mean? I did have plain buttons for
this purpose, but they didn't look very attractive; I may create bitmaps
instead.
Thanks for the comment.

Steven

Hywel Jenkins

In article <OBTAd.15206$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <JfQAd.14918$%(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
> > >
> > > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
> > >

> > It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
> > PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

> Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.
>
> > Have the week/month
> > navigation in a more logical position.
> >

> Like above or below the calendar

Yes. This way, perhaps the entire thing could be self-contained as
Michael suggests.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

McKirahan

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OBTAd.15206$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...

> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <JfQAd.14918$%(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
> > >
> > > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
> > >

> > It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
> > PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

> Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.
>
> > Have the week/month
> > navigation in a more logical position.
> >

> Like above or below the calendar, you mean? I did have plain buttons for
> this purpose, but they didn't look very attractive; I may create bitmaps
> instead.
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> Steven

"<<", "<", ">", and ">>" are often used to go to previous year, previous
month, next month, and next year, respectively; no images needed.

Also, I would right justify (followed by " &nbsp; ") the day numbers.

Why the minus sign before each week?

steven

"McKirahan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OBTAd.15206$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> >

> "<<", "<", ">", and ">>" are often used to go to previous year, previous
> month, next month, and next year, respectively; no images needed.
>
> Also, I would right justify (followed by " &nbsp; ") the day numbers.
>
> Why the minus sign before each week?

ISO-8601 "week only of the implied year". But I admit that it's a bit
confusing. I may change it to this other ISO-8601 format "year and week only
in the implied century": YYWww (e.g. "04W52").
Thanks for the reply.

Steven