Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 8.19 Why doesn't my sockets program work under System V (Solaris)? What does the error message "Protocol not supported" mean?

FAQ 8.19 Why doesn't my sockets program work under System V (Solaris)? What does the error message "Protocol not supported" mean?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.19: Why doesn't my sockets program work under System V (Solaris)? What does the error message "Protocol not supported" mean?

Some Sys-V based systems, notably Solaris 2.X, redefined some of the
standard socket constants. Since these were constant across all
architectures, they were often hardwired into perl code. The proper way
to deal with this is to "use Socket" to get the correct values.

Note that even though SunOS and Solaris are binary compatible, these
values are different. Go figure.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.