Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 8.6 How do I check whether input is ready on the keyboard?

FAQ 8.6 How do I check whether input is ready on the keyboard?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.6: How do I check whether input is ready on the keyboard?

The easiest way to do this is to read a key in nonblocking mode with the
"Term::ReadKey" module from CPAN, passing it an argument of -1 to
indicate not to block:

use Term::ReadKey;

ReadMode('cbreak');

if (defined ($char = ReadKey(-1)) ) {
# input was waiting and it was $char
} else {
# no input was waiting
}

ReadMode('normal'); # restore normal tty settings

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.