Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > strawberry perl installation error num 2908 Huh?

strawberry perl installation error num 2908 Huh?

David Combs

Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.

Installation error meg:

strawbery perl setup

the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2908.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David
..

David Canzi

In article <inqv2p$s85$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Combs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.
>
>Installation error meg:
>
> strawbery perl setup
>
> the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
>package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code
>is 2908.
>

>Any suggestions?

Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.

Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908

--
David Canzi | Life is too short to point out every mistake. |

David Combs

In article <inssca$u8m$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Canzi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <inqv2p$s85$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>David Combs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Trying to load, on to xp, perl 5.12.
>>
>>Installation error meg:
>>
>> strawbery perl setup
>>
>> the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
>>package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code
>>is 2908.
>>

>>Any suggestions?

>Search for 2908 in the strawberry perl documentation.
>
>Search Google for: strawberry perl 2908
>
>--
>David Canzi | Life is too short to point out every mistake. |

I did the google you suggested. One guy said you have to use administrative
priviledges. Well, here's the whole (short) thread (minus one signiture
quotation):

Comment on strawberry perl installation
Re: strawberry perl installation
by CountZero (Canon) on Jul 02, 2010 at 20:30 UTC
Error code 2908 for MSI is "Could not register component".
Try running the MSI installer under administrative privileges.

CountZero

[reply]
Re^2: strawberry perl installation
by rahed (Scribe) on Jul 03, 2010 at 12:39 UTC

That was it, thank you. That's been the first time I had to use the
administrator like this.

Radek
[reply]
Re: strawberry perl installation
by adsard (Initiate) on Dec 24, 2010 at 07:28 UTC

I too am facing the same problem and I am installing with a user
having administrative rights? Can there be some other cause to the
issue?

[reply]
Re^2: strawberry perl installation
by Anonymous Monk on Feb 07, 2011 at 03:14 UTC

I thought I was installing Strawberry Perl as administrator (Using the
default administrator logon that appears in Windows XP when you
haven't created any other users) but I kept getting error 2908. It
wasn't until I made a new user and gave them admin privileges that I
could install without that error. When is an admin not an admin? When
on Windows.

[reply]
Re: strawberry perl installation
by Anonymous Monk on Feb 14, 2011 at 13:19 UTC
Same problem!

So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
report back.

David

Dr.Ruud

On 2011-04-10 23:59, David Combs wrote:

> So now I'll go see about admin priviledges, and will
> report back.

IIRC, you can right-click and then "Run as ...".

(though maybe that only exists on Win-NT)

--
Ruud