Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 7.18 How can I access a dynamic variable while a similarly named lexical is in scope?

FAQ 7.18 How can I access a dynamic variable while a similarly named lexical is in scope?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq7.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

7.18: How can I access a dynamic variable while a similarly named lexical is in scope?

If you know your package, you can just mention it explicitly, as in
$Some_Pack::var. Note that the notation $::var is not the dynamic $var
in the current package, but rather the one in the "main" package, as
though you had written $main::var.

use vars '$var';
local $var = "global";
my $var = "lexical";

print "lexical is $var\n";
print "global is $main::var\n";

Alternatively you can use the compiler directive our() to bring a
dynamic variable into the current lexical scope.

require 5.006; # our() did not exist before 5.6
use vars '$var';

local $var = "global";
my $var = "lexical";

print "lexical is $var\n";