Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 8.43 How do I open a file without blocking?

FAQ 8.43 How do I open a file without blocking?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.43: How do I open a file without blocking?

If you're lucky enough to be using a system that supports non-blocking
reads (most Unixish systems do), you need only to use the "O_NDELAY" or
"O_NONBLOCK" flag from the "Fcntl" module in conjunction with
"sysopen()":

use Fcntl;
sysopen(FH, "/foo/somefile", O_WRONLY|O_NDELAY|O_CREAT, 0644)
or die "can't open /foo/somefile: $!":

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.