Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 9.9 How do I automate an HTML form submission?

FAQ 9.9 How do I automate an HTML form submission?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

9.9: How do I automate an HTML form submission?

If you are doing something complex, such as moving through many pages
and forms or a web site, you can use "WWW::Mechanize". See its
documentation for all the details.

If you're submitting values using the GET method, create a URL and
encode the form using the "query_form" method:

use LWP::Simple;
use URI::URL;

my $url = url('http://www.perl.com/cgi-bin/cpan_mod');
$url->query_form(module => 'DB_File', readme => 1);
$content = get($url);

If you're using the POST method, create your own user agent and encode
the content appropriately.

use HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);
use LWP::UserAgent;

$ua = LWP::UserAgent->new();
my $req = POST 'http://www.perl.com/cgi-bin/cpan_mod',
[ module => 'DB_File', readme => 1 ];
$content = $ua->request($req)->as_string;

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.