Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 8.16 How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

FAQ 8.16 How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.16: How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

If you want finer granularity than the 1 second that the "sleep()"
function provides, the easiest way is to use the "select()" function as
documented in "select" in perlfunc. Try the "Time::HiRes" and the
"BSD::Itimer" modules (available from CPAN, and starting from Perl 5.8
"Time::HiRes" is part of the standard distribution).

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.