Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 8.11 How do I decode encrypted password files?

FAQ 8.11 How do I decode encrypted password files?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.11: How do I decode encrypted password files?

You spend lots and lots of money on dedicated hardware, but this is
bound to get you talked about.

Seriously, you can't if they are Unix password files--the Unix password
system employs one-way encryption. It's more like hashing than
encryption. The best you can do is check whether something else hashes
to the same string. You can't turn a hash back into the original string.
Programs like Crack can forcibly (and intelligently) try to guess
passwords, but don't (can't) guarantee quick success.

If you're worried about users selecting bad passwords, you should
proactively check when they try to change their password (by modifying
passwd(1), for example).

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.