Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 9.8 How do I fetch an HTML file?

FAQ 9.8 How do I fetch an HTML file?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

9.8: How do I fetch an HTML file?

(contributed by brian d foy)

Use the libwww-perl distribution. The "LWP::Simple" module can fetch web
resources and give their content back to you as a string:

use LWP::Simple qw(get);

my $html = get( "http://www.example.com/index.html" );

It can also store the resource directly in a file:

use LWP::Simple qw(getstore);

getstore( "http://www.example.com/index.html", "foo.html" );

If you need to do something more complicated, you can use
"LWP::UserAgent" module to create your own user-agent (e.g. browser) to
get the job done. If you want to simulate an interactive web browser,
you can use the "WWW::Mechanize" module.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.