Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 4.72 How do I handle binary data correctly?

FAQ 4.72 How do I handle binary data correctly?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

4.72: How do I handle binary data correctly?

Perl is binary clean, so it can handle binary data just fine. On Windows
or DOS, however, you have to use "binmode" for binary files to avoid
conversions for line endings. In general, you should use "binmode" any
time you want to work with binary data.

Also see "binmode" in perlfunc or perlopentut.

If you're concerned about 8-bit textual data then see perllocale. If you
want to deal with multibyte characters, however, there are some gotchas.
See the section on Regular Expressions.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.