Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 3.22 How can I get "#!perl" to work on [MS-DOS,NT,...]?

FAQ 3.22 How can I get "#!perl" to work on [MS-DOS,NT,...]?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

3.22: How can I get "#!perl" to work on [MS-DOS,NT,...]?

For OS/2 just use

extproc perl -S -your_switches

as the first line in "*.cmd" file ("-S" due to a bug in cmd.exe's
"extproc" handling). For DOS one should first invent a corresponding
batch file and codify it in "ALTERNATE_SHEBANG" (see the dosish.h file
in the source distribution for more information).

The Win95/NT installation, when using the ActiveState port of Perl, will
modify the Registry to associate the ".pl" extension with the perl
interpreter. If you install another port, perhaps even building your own
Win95/NT Perl from the standard sources by using a Windows port of gcc
(e.g., with cygwin or mingw32), then you'll have to modify the Registry
yourself. In addition to associating ".pl" with the interpreter, NT
people can use: "SET PATHEXT=%PATHEXT%;.PL" to let them run the program
"install-linux.pl" merely by typing "install-linux".

Under "Classic" MacOS, a perl program will have the appropriate Creator
and Type, so that double-clicking them will invoke the MacPerl
application. Under Mac OS X, clickable apps can be made from any "#!"
script using Wil Sanchez' DropScript utility:
http://www.wsanchez.net/software/ .

*IMPORTANT!*: Whatever you do, PLEASE don't get frustrated, and just
throw the perl interpreter into your cgi-bin directory, in order to get
your programs working for a web server. This is an EXTREMELY big
security risk. Take the time to figure out how to do it correctly.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.